Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
SecularMomma
Figuring out toddler babble
June 26, 2013 at 9:44 AM

My son is turning two this week and I get such a kick out of his speech. Today I FINALLY figured out that "da dice!" means "Not nice!" Seems so clear now I don't know why it took me so long to figure that one out. haha

What are some of your toddlers more difficult phrases to understand?

Replies

• bzzybeemomof3
    June 26, 2013 at 10:13 AM

My ddi s almost 17 months now and still non-verbal. But I understand her babbles, cause she points as she babbles and knows a few signs and bables while signing.

I love the fact that she tries, just no acutal words, but yet she sings. lol she babbles to the tune of her favorite songs so I always know when she is singing them.

I am not sure why her speech is behind, cause we work on it daily, but she is just not saying "real" words yet. *shrugs*  she still gets her point across with her pointing though.

• KatieFlower
    June 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    I have my 5 yr old translate! He understands every single word he says somehow!
  • SecularMomma
    June 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

LOL My 4 year old does that too. She's always saying, "Mom, he wants to read a book." or "Mom, he wants a sippy." And she's usually right.

Quoting KatieFlower:

• SecularMomma
    June 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My son was like that too. At his 18 month check up he only had a handful of words and he used them rarely. The pediatrician told me to keep working with him and if he didn't improve after a few months to come back. But he did. Suddenly about a month or two later he started picking up a lot of words. Most of them are not perfect but he's got a good size vocab now.

Quoting bzzybeemomof3:

My ddi s almost 17 months now and still non-verbal. But I understand her babbles, cause she points as she babbles and knows a few signs and bables while signing.

I love the fact that she tries, just no acutal words, but yet she sings. lol she babbles to the tune of her favorite songs so I always know when she is singing them.

I am not sure why her speech is behind, cause we work on it daily, but she is just not saying "real" words yet. *shrugs*  she still gets her point across with her pointing though.

• la_bella_vita
    June 26, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Quoting KatieFlower:

LOL My 6 year old has to translate for me sometimes.

• corrinacs
    June 26, 2013 at 11:40 AM

My son has been saying Bobby! loudly for a long time.  And he woudl look at me when he says it.  But for the longest time we thought he was just saying those two syllables randomly.  But, apparently, I'm not Mommy....I'm Bobby!  Oh well LOL

• othermom
    June 26, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Lol, it is tough to understand kids sometimes

• hockey21
    June 26, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I'm spelling this like my 2yr old said it 'cratch me'....now...do you think it means 'scratch me??'  nope....it means 'catch me'...

• mysweet1s
    June 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    My 2 year old substitutes /p/ for /f/ and -th. So, she's "persey" when she's thirsty. She is always asking me things like "are we eating brocoli poor (for) supper?" or "Is this bag poor grandma's house?" I kinda love it! :)
  • kurmom
    by kurmom
    June 26, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    DD will be 2 next week and she says all kinds of things! She say something like "I'm in!" And it took me forever to realize she is saying "I win!" Lol. Now I get why she runs ahead of me all the time saying it! Lol! She say "fuck" for fox and frog. "Boo" is blue. " I yu woo" I love you. And so much more I can't think of currently :)

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN