Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Courtney123496
Old enough for a highback booster?
April 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM

My daughter will be 5 in July and is just about 40lbs.Do you think I should put her In a highback booster?My friends daughter is 3 1/2 and is 44lbs and is in a highback booster.Im just not sure if I should or not.She is going to kindergarten in the fall,so I think she's old enough...any advice moms?

this is my friends daughters highback booster in her van.^

Replies

• DACIA79
    by DACIA79
    April 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    Yes she is definitely old enough
  • othermom
    April 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I would wait a  little longer due to weight. My kids switched a little after four, but they are bigger for their age. My 3 1/2 year old is just over 41 inches and 41 pounds. Her carseat goes to 65 pounds.

• xredstarsx
    April 28, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Age wise you could but maturity is the most important factor. Will she sit correctly 100% of the time? No slumping if she falls asleep? No reaching for things or playing with the seat belt?
  • Nicholy10
    April 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM
    My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then. Now he's almost 4. He is 45-50 pounds, and almost 4 ft tall.
  • .Angelica.
    April 28, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I wouldn't. my son is 5 1/2 and still harnessed. it is much safer

• erinsmom1964
    April 28, 2013 at 3:58 PM

HMMM in alot of states that is actually illegal...4 yrs and 40 pounds is MINIMUM

Quoting Nicholy10:

My son has been in a high back booster since just before his 3rd birthday. He is big for his age, and outgrew his 5 point harness carseat. I took him to the fire department and police department, both said he was big enough for a boost then. Now he's almost 4. He is 45-50 pounds, and almost 4 ft tall.

• erinsmom1964
    April 28, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Well what your friend is doing in many states is illegal.  i don't understand the rush to put our children in harms way.  this isn't a lifes milestone like writing their names.  every step "up" in seat is a step dowmn in safety BOTTOM LINE.  My DD who is 4 and 44 1/2 inches tall will stay in her harness as long as it fits.  I knowing I have a tall child instead of putting her in a highback booster at 2 yrs 9 months when she outgrew her My Ride which has been suggested in this post actually bought her a taller harnessed seat.  

• erinsmom1964
    April 28, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Quoting xredstarsx:

Age wise you could but maturity is the most important factor. Will she sit correctly 100% of the time? No slumping if she falls asleep? No reaching for things or playing with the seat belt?

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Nicholy10
    April 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Quoting erinsmom1964:

HMMM in alot of states that is actually illegal...4 yrs and 40 pounds is MINIMUM

Quoting Nicholy10:

Not mine. I went to the police department and fire department, both said he was big enough.
  • LucyHarper
    April 28, 2013 at 4:08 PM

No, and your friends daughter shouldn't be in one either. Weight is not the tell all, weight does not mean that they are tall enough, that their body is mature enough to take the crash with just a belt, or that they are mature enough to sit properly in their seat. The legal limit in most states is 40 pounds and 4 years, but thats just the minimum, it is not actually suggested that you move them to a seat belt until they are 50-60 pounds and can sit properly. I have a five year old boy who is in a high back booster, but it has a five point harness on it and he will stay in that five point until he's at least 50 pounds.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts