Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
kelbel0206
temper tantrums!
April 3, 2013 at 6:20 PM
My 16 month old has recently begun having very dramatic "diva like" tantrums. Being first time parents were not really sure how to deal with these outbursts. Do we just ignore or try to console in some way??

Replies

• MissyMegs
    April 3, 2013 at 6:31 PM

If she isn't physically hurting herself and she is perfectly fine, Yes I'd ignore them.. The more you pay attention to it, the more she will know all she has to do is do this type of tantrum to get attention

• Luvmy2babies22
    April 3, 2013 at 6:37 PM

my kids aren't big on tantrums but when they do happen, i don't give attention to them.  i ignore until they are ready to calm down.  if she's in danger of hurting herself, put her in her crib.  if not, walk away  until she calms down.

another thing i have done since the beginning is say "let me know when you are done" and then walk away.  obviously there was a time when they had no idea what i was saying but it became routine and now they get it.  once they could talk they would scream for a min longer, wipe their tears and say "okay, i'm done".

• la_bella_vita
    April 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Ignore is normally the best technique.

• Asenath
    by Asenath
    April 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM

We make our son go to his room. My son just turned 3, and weighs 45 pounds, all muscle, he is also very independent so this is not easy (for me, for daddy he will no issue). I have gotten to where I set him on his bed and if he tries to get off I close his door. It sounds bad but i will hold his door closed while he screams on the otherside, usually banging on the door. I will tell him that I will open the door when he stops, at the same time I will stick either my fingers or toes under the door, and he will stick is fingers under and hold them. I will keep reminding him he needed to calm down and he was not gonna get what he wanted this way. I also tell him to go sit back on his bed and stop so I can come in. This only lasts for 5 min then I will hold him and give lots of kisses. We believe it is important to no cave, and be consistent. My son knows that if he wants something he needs to ask, I also remind him, when he is done, that when he cries he looses things not gets them. We also believe giving him lots of love afterward is really important.

I have also held him on my lap, facing me, and put my arms on his "holding him down." With this I can keep him from hurting himself, or anyone else, and give him kisses while he is throwing his fit. Lol sometimes he askes me to hold him down for no reason, other times the threat gets him to calm down. Eventually you can reach the point of just reminding them what will happen, and reminding them they can control their emotions and stop.

• LOVE_mygirls58
    April 4, 2013 at 10:35 AM

ignoring is the best way to deal with it

• Seximama23
    April 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    I am no help to be honest. I try and walk away my son follows behind screaming and trying to hit me. I try putting him in his room..nope not.having it. So I have no clue, just remember a temper tantrum is your child way of expressing a lot of emotion at once. Walk away of you can when said tantrum is done...remind them you understand they were upset, but they cant get what they want...or what ever the reason
  • cowgirls10181
    April 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM
    Our 17 month old does that, she also headbutts things when shes mad. Suggestion whe she starts get eye level tell her its not how we behave, place her in an area the same area each time llike a time out corner or something for a minute.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts