Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
PEEK05
Have you taught your LOs how to dial 911 in case of emergencies?
by PEEK05
March 20, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Our pediatrician said they should know what an emergency is and how to dial 911 in case of emergencies by the time they are 5.  Any tips on how to teach something like that? My first child just turned 4 last month, so it's something I would like to teach her soon.

Replies

• HamBergerMama
    March 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM

not yet... Alex might be ready to learn (3 almost 4)

But he has somehow already managed to call the police, so they know they generally aren't allowed to touch phones "or the police will come" =P

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    March 20, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I got in trouble one time for calling the police on my mom when I was 4.  She went across the street and left me at home.  She went to get us some lunch. Literally I could open our window blinds and see her.  Anyway, I decided it would be a good idea to call the cops and tell them my mom left me home alone. She was angry lol!

Quoting HamBergerMama:

But he has somehow already managed to call the police, so they know they generally aren't allowed to touch phones "or the police will come" =P

• HamBergerMama
    March 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM

ahahah I mean its not funny, but I can totally see why she would be upset =P

I think Alex got a hold of the phone and held the 9 button down for an auto call maybe? he was only barely 2 at the time so there is about no way he could have hit 911 and send in that exact order. 

Quoting PEEK05:

I got in trouble one time for calling the police on my mom when I was 4.  She went across the street and left me at home.  She went to get us some lunch. Literally I could open our window blinds and see her.  Anyway, I decided it would be a good idea to call the cops and tell them my mom left me home alone. She was angry lol!

Quoting HamBergerMama:

• Luvmy2babies22
    March 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM

my 6 year old but not my 3 1/2 year old.  we taught him around 5.  we just give him scenarios like "do you call 911 to say 'hi'?"  "no"  "do you call 911 because your toy truck broke?"  "no"  "when do you call?"  "when Mommy asks me too or if Mommy falls down and can't talk to me."  things like that.  we discuss this regularly to keep it fresh and I quiz him on our address periodically and then make sure he knows that he doesn't tell our address to  just anyone.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    March 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Ooohhh good tips.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

my 6 year old but not my 3 1/2 year old.  we taught him around 5.  we just give him scenarios like "do you call 911 to say 'hi'?"  "no"  "do you call 911 because your toy truck broke?"  "no"  "when do you call?"  "when Mommy asks me too or if Mommy falls down and can't talk to me."  things like that.  we discuss this regularly to keep it fresh and I quiz him on our address periodically and then make sure he knows that he doesn't tell our address to  just anyone.

• HockeyDanceMom
    March 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Not yet, he is still a little young for that but my older kids do

• sophiesmom07
    March 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM

Not yet. I'm scared that she'll decide to play around with it.

• Firenygirl180
    March 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM
    ds is still too little for this, but the best way would be to calmly explain to him in a kid friendly manner what an emergency is. of course kids learn a little during fire safety week at school, but you can always go to your local firehouse and ask if they have any materials on it. I'm sure they'd be happy to give you some goodies.
    They still give out the stickers that you can put on a landline phone that say dial 911. And they always have coloring books.

You can also set up an emergency plan that you can practice. If you don't have a home phone and there is an emergency your lo may not be able to find your cell to call, they may have to go to a neighbors or something so they need to know a safe place to go to call. And a meeting place for all of you. You can sit down with them and draw a map of your house with the best way out in one color and alternate routes if any.
  • inmybizz
    March 20, 2013 at 8:32 PM

yes

• iansmommy9
    March 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM

No, he's only 2 1/2. DH is a police officer and when he responds to 911 hang ups that end up being kids practicing calling 911 without mom and dad realizing it, he recommends getting a toy phone that you can record your voice on for them. I've never seen then, but he says Target carries.

The kids are usually pretty freaked out when he shows up thinking  they are in trouble. He reassures them and says, now you see that we will come if you ever need help. 

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN