Toddlers & Preschoolers

mollysmummy
Car Sick 4 year old - HELP!
February 15, 2013 at 8:51 AM

My poor DD is developing pretty bad car sickness on rides more that 30 minutes or so - I was the same way as a kid, and I feel so badly for her because I remember how miserable she felt.  Every Saturday for the next six weeks we have to go on an unavoidable hour long (each way) ride.  Does anyone have any advice for car sickness for little ones? 

Replies

• .Angelica.
    February 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

i don't know of anything. :( here's a bump

• shesliketx
    February 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    Dramamine is acceptable for kids that age. It will help with the car sickness. When I drove from upstate ny to Texas, my friends son had terrible car sickness, he was puking every day of the 3 day trip. The pediatrician gave us the information for Dramamine and it was a life saver. Check with your kids dr for proper dosing.
  • hwifeandmom
    February 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM

I agree with the dramamine.  My kids used to get car sick when they were young, too.  We used the chewables, and dramamine made all the difference in the world (dosing guidelines are on the back of the box, even for a 2yr old).

Quoting shesliketx:

Dramamine is acceptable for kids that age. It will help with the car sickness. When I drove from upstate ny to Texas, my friends son had terrible car sickness, he was puking every day of the 3 day trip. The pediatrician gave us the information for Dramamine and it was a life saver. Check with your kids dr for proper dosing.

• babyspots17
    February 15, 2013 at 10:38 AM
    Peppermints and ginger candies help cracking the window and you could try sea bands.
  • KLove_Mom
    February 15, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Keep her out of the sunlight and make sure she can see out the windows, especially the front if possible.

My littlelest one had this bad as a baby. When we finally moved her car seat to the middle of the car she hasn't been sick again. The sun doesn't hit her as much in the middle, and she can watch out the front windshield instead of everything passing quickly on the sides.

Other thing is to actually have her looking up, not down at toys or a book. A little dvd in front of her would be better than books.

• jobberwocky
    February 15, 2013 at 11:42 AM
    No toys or books in the car. I have gotten car sick since I was a kid and it could be minimized by not reading or playing in the car. Have her close her eyes and rest and see if that helps.
  • Marimaru
    February 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM

I'm gonna second the sea bands, and also second the advice that says no toys or books.  Have them sing songs while they look out the window, or something, and tell them to look at things are far away instead of things that are close.

• Kermitthemom23
    February 15, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    Keep a barf bag handy just in case.
    Pressure points
    And extra clothes just in case
  • HopesNDreams
    February 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    To add to this...use an iPod for music or stories. Encourage her to put her head back and close her eyes.

Quoting jobberwocky:

No toys or books in the car. I have gotten car sick since I was a kid and it could be minimized by not reading or playing in the car. Have her close her eyes and rest and see if that helps.
  • emkirkley
    February 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

real ginger ale, ginger snap cookies, crackers and sprite, give 1/2 to 3/4 of a dose of benadryl about 30 minutes before you leave, or go to the pharmacy and ask them for the dose of children's bonine for her weight (what I have been giving my 11 year old since she was 2.5 and 30lbs)

Toddlers & Preschoolers