Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
MommyCora
Spin off "would you allow your children to...." post
February 6, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Would you allow your children to play with a child from an atheist family?  One mother in the other post said she would not allow it because "they would be teaching their children different values." Well we are atheists and I can tell you that we most likely have all the same morals that you do, except we do not believe in God. We teach our children not to steal, to be kind to others, to respect their elders, etc. Honestly, I don't tell people that I am an atheist unless they ask ever since the neighbor girls stopped playing with my daughter because she said that we don't believe in God. I fear others will do the same. I have no desire to "convert" you, and I am 100% fine with your beliefs and will not discuss my lack of beliefs with your child. As a matter of fact, we teach our children about all different religions and being respectful to everyone else's beliefs; once our child is an adult we want her to come to her own decision about religion.

Replies

• la_bella_vita
    February 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Yes

• Jynnifer292
    February 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I don't understand why it would be an issue. How often do small children even discuss religion? Why is it so difficult to teach diversity for some people? I let my kids play with anyone that is good to them. They are aware that not everyone has the same beliefs. If you teach your children that they can't associate with someone that is different, make them think that they are better than someone else, you are setting them up for a very hard life.

• erinmomofone
    February 6, 2013 at 11:00 PM
    Yep of course.My daughter while be able to play with anyone who is respectful and their parents are as well. I don't care about religion, sexuality, color, teen parents (myself), disabled,anything and my daugher is raised that way! She will be respectful to everyone.
  • Luvmy2babies22
    February 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM

i agree with you 100% and am an atheist as well.  I don't discuss God and won't take my children to church BUT will never stand in their way of exploring that if they ask.  My son has asked about Christmas and I explained it to him very matter of factly.  His close friend is Jewish so I also explained their beliefs and why they don't celebrate Christmas.  If he asks to attend Synagogue or Church someday they are welcome to that experience.  My job is not to produce little clone robots of me, my job is to raise my kids with love, tolerance and an open mind and allow them to come to their own conclusions about things NOT just believe what I believe because I'm their Mom.  Most of my friends are a religion of some sort.  I don't know any other atheists.  I don't wear it on my sleeve because it's just my own thoughts and, like you said, am not looking to convert anyone.  When people find out they like me all the same.  I'm still a good person, I just do it in the name of what's right, not in the name of a higher power.

My criteria for a friend or my kids' friends is nice, respectful, thoughtful and fun.  Just as I would not be friends with a judgemental atheist asshole, I would not be friends with a judgemental Christian/Muslim/gay/straight/man/woman/black/white/tall/short/thin/fat asshole.  An asshole is an asshole.

• queen_k0302
    February 6, 2013 at 11:09 PM
    Yes. As long as my child is not being abused. I have same sex friends and friends of different religious. My children still play with them.
  • ragitty
    by ragitty
    February 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Yes. I am a devoted Catholic and some of my good friends are atheist.

• SarahSuzyQ
    February 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM
    I think it's really important for kids to know that there are people who think differently than they do, and that those people are still good folks. How can you learn to have a respectful dialogue with others or to love someone who is different if you only surround yourself with people who are just like you??

I do not understand putting my child in a bubble so that he's totally unprepared to engage the world. And that's what this so easily becomes.

Btw, I love Jesus, and we're raising my son for that to be a part of his life too. But I am not trying to convert your child any more than you're trying to convert mine. That's not why my kid is at your house or vice versa. They're preschoolers! They're just learning how to live with other people. Let's just treat one another with kindness, you know? That's the most important thing we can model for our kids, IMO.

OP, I think our kids would be just fine together. :-)
  • sweetmomma326
    February 6, 2013 at 11:38 PM

I would let them because their daddy is an Atheist.  I do pray and believe, but he doesn't.  They will be open to choose whatever they want.  My oldest goes to church every Sunday.  We both have different views on everything, but we work great together as parents.  I am getting excited just seeing the finished result of how well we tried to raise our children in the end. 

• momtoBrenna
    February 7, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Yes, I would allow it. Like you said, you teach the same morals of respect, etc. We also want our children to come to their own conclusions and we teach them about all faiths and viewpoints. 

• tyfry7496
    February 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM
    Yes I would. Like I said in the other post hatred is a learned behavior not something a child is born with.

As long as the family isn't batshit crazy, hard core criminals or drunk/high in front of my child, I'm pretty open to who he's friends with.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts