Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Mipsy
*pic pg2* Valentines appropriate for preschool?
by Mipsy
February 6, 2013 at 10:52 AM
We got Batman valentines for my sons preschool class. The teacher will hand them out. I dunno if the kids will really look at them until they get home. But we got home and I saw his Valentine's come with magnets you put on them to go on the fridge. At first I thought that was kewl but now I'm worried about preschoolers and magnets. Should I put the magnets on or no?

Replies

• othermom
    February 6, 2013 at 11:02 AM

I think it depends on how big the magnets are, maybe call and ask the teacher

• Aleta775
    February 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM

This. I would be a bit cautious because while a preschooler may not put a magnet in their mouth, a younger sibling might. I should add that the magnet is the only thing I'd worry about. Giving out little Valentines should be fun other wise. 

Quoting othermom:

• Supervane
    February 6, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    I think it's fine, most teachers even preschool.teachers give the Valentines at the very end of the day. And parents at least I do and the ones I know go thru them anyway. I think a child would enjoy putting a Valentine magnet on his or her fridge at home.

• Supervane
    February 6, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    Wouldn't it be best for parents who have smaller kids at home to take precautions.

I know I went they every single one of my kids Valentine cards last year to make sure it was stuff she could play with or eat. I would never expect another parent to do my job for me

Quoting Aleta775:

This. I would be a bit cautious because while a preschooler may not put a magnet in their mouth, a younger sibling might. 

Quoting othermom:

• LucyHarper
    February 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM

What kind of magnets are they? Like flat magnets, or like plastic with little circle magnets on the back? If its the little circle magnets, you are mostly safe if they are preschool age, but just in case I probably wouldn't send the magnets in.

• Aleta775
    February 6, 2013 at 11:24 AM

There are a lot of options for Valentine's Day cards. I would feel very guilty if I let my child pass out something to their classmates that eventually caused a problem later. Heck you can even make your own cards. You don't have to pass out candy and trinkets along with them. 

Quoting Supervane:

Wouldn't it be best for parents who have smaller kids at home to take precautions.

I know I went they every single one of my kids Valentine cards last year to make sure it was stuff she could play with or eat. I would never expect another parent to do my job for me

Quoting Aleta775:

This. I would be a bit cautious because while a preschooler may not put a magnet in their mouth, a younger sibling might. 

Quoting othermom:

• Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    February 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    Yeah I know the Valentine's alone are fine and we are told to bring some, just not sure on the magnets

Quoting Aleta775:

This. I would be a bit cautious because while a preschooler may not put a magnet in their mouth, a younger sibling might. I should add that the magnet is the only thing I'd worry about. Giving out little Valentines should be fun other wise. 

Quoting othermom:

• Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    February 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    That's what I originally thought too. I know my son would love to put a valentine on our fridge. But since its preschool, I'm not sure of everyone's ability to know or not know to out it in their mouth, kwim?

Quoting Supervane:

I think it's fine, most teachers even preschool.teachers give the Valentines at the very end of the day. And parents at least I do and the ones I know go thru them anyway. I think a child would enjoy putting a Valentine magnet on his or her fridge at home.

• Mipsy
    by Mipsy
    February 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    I 100% agree there. My son has food allergies and instead of asking no one give candy out, we go through and get rid of the bad candy and keep the safe candy.

Quoting Supervane:

Quoting Aleta775:

Quoting othermom:

• Supervane
    February 6, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    Of course there are a tons of options, but we can't protect everyone if that's the goal then no cards period because what if someone gets a paper cut! Honestly I think a magnet is hammerless for preschoolers. Is it nice to worry about smaller siblings yeah it is, but it's not an obligation. The obligation would be on the parent in what they do or don't allow in their home.

Quoting Aleta775:

There are a lot of options for Valentine's Day cards. I would feel very guilty if I let my child pass out something to their classmates that eventually caused a problem later. Heck you can even make your own cards. You don't have to pass out candy and trinkets along with them. 

Quoting Supervane:

Quoting Aleta775:

Quoting othermom:

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts