Toddlers & Preschoolers

akrall83
cradle cap
February 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I think my 2 year old has it. I didn't think kids still got it this old though, so I'm worried it may be something more serious. I'm going to try head & shoulders to see if that helps. If not then I'm thinking it might be plaque psoriasis. Does anyone else still deal with cradle cap at 2 or older?

Replies

• arimaur
    by arimaur
    February 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

no...but both at 8 months got it.  i would massage it with some baby oil or baby lotion.  i would be careful with the head and shoulders being that it could irritate his baby skin (i only say that cuz it burns the hell out of my scalp). 

what give you the idea that it could be plaque psoriasis?

BUMP

• overweightmommy
    February 1, 2013 at 3:30 PM

DD's finally just went away a few months ago. She's 3. We tried just about everything and nothing ever worked. 

I've enever heard of it developing later like that. I'd probably take them to the dr to make sure it is cradle cap then go from there. 

• SharPei2
    February 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM

My 2-1/2 yr old did.  We used head & shoulders and it semd to go away.  After that we switched her 2 a different kid shampoo that doesn't dry her out as bad.

Good Luck!

• .Angelica.
    February 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

my son still had a spot of cradle cap at 4. switching to a better shampoo helped. I'm going to try the burts bees shampoo next.

• akrall83
    February 1, 2013 at 3:48 PM
    A family friend has it and it looks similar, but it's weird that it would only be on his scalp. Psoriasis is more common on arms and legs. I'm hoping it's just a late round of cradle cap.

Quoting arimaur:

no...but both at 8 months got it.  i would massage it with some baby oil or baby lotion.  i would be careful with the head and shoulders being that it could irritate his baby skin (i only say that cuz it burns the hell out of my scalp). 

what give you the idea that it could be plaque psoriasis?

BUMP

• akrall83
    February 1, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    Thanks for the reply :) the Dr will be the next step if the shampoo change doesn't help.

Quoting overweightmommy:

DD's finally just went away a few months ago. She's 3. We tried just about everything and nothing ever worked. 

I've enever heard of it developing later like that. I'd probably take them to the dr to make sure it is cradle cap then go from there. 

• nerdymom28
    February 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM

No, but my newborn had REALLY bad cradle cap. I used head and shoulders on her for a couple weeks and it cleared right up.

• akrall83
    February 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    The h&s definitely helped when he was an infant. This is the worst I've ever seen it though,so fingers crossed. What kid shampoo did you switch to?

Quoting SharPei2:

My 2-1/2 yr old did.  We used head & shoulders and it semd to go away.  After that we switched her 2 a different kid shampoo that doesn't dry her out as bad.

Good Luck!

• akrall83
    February 1, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    I love burt's bees products. Their lip balm is great. I haven't tried their shampoo though.

Quoting .Angelica.:

my son still had a spot of cradle cap at 4. switching to a better shampoo helped. I'm going to try the burts bees shampoo next.

• akrall83
    February 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    That's good, I'm hoping this will be the same kind of situation. I know it looks worse than it us, but it grosses me out. It's super thick this time too. Thanks for the reply :)

Quoting nerdymom28:

No, but my newborn had REALLY bad cradle cap. I used head and shoulders on her for a couple weeks and it cleared right up.

Toddlers & Preschoolers