Toddlers & Preschoolers

3mommyandwifey
2 year old with a fever :( how to break it?
January 31, 2013 at 7:45 PM
My DS is sick again he just got over a 3 week cold last month and he has a fever,runny nose and cough. I am sick of it And I hate giving him over the counter medicine. So does anyone know how to break this fever with out medicine? I have a cool rag over his head now hoping that will help. I run a daycare and he probably cought a bug and I didn't get my kids their flu shot this year ( I am kicking my self in the a**) right now cuz if I did maybe he wouldn't be sick.

Replies

• erinsmom1964
    January 31, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Why do you want to break it?  is he miserable?  Is it high?  Fevers can be a good thing.

• Luvmy2babies22
    January 31, 2013 at 7:53 PM

how high is his temp?  fever is the body's way of fighting the bug so you actually don't want to give him medicine unless it's really high (102+) OR he's uncomfortable.  keep him in cool clothes with a light blanket and let it run it's course.

• Gina1109
    January 31, 2013 at 7:55 PM
    I put ds ( he's 3) in a Luke warm bath tub and let him play ( no soap) and that usually helps... If not then I try and wrap him up in a couple of blankets to get it to break... Because I know when I have a fever I'm cold and I pile up under blankets until my fever breaks and I sweat lol.
    I would try either or both of those
  • mariesmama
    January 31, 2013 at 7:56 PM

try a warm bath

• 3mommyandwifey
    January 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    102 looks miserable

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Why do you want to break it?  is he miserable?  Is it high?  Fevers can be a good thing.

• 3mommyandwifey
    January 31, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    Its 102. Dh loves to give him medicine to break it. I am hoping its gone in a few hours.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

how high is his temp?  fever is the body's way of fighting the bug so you actually don't want to give him medicine unless it's really high (102+) OR he's uncomfortable.  keep him in cool clothes with a light blanket and let it run it's course.

• Luvmy2babies22
    January 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM

poor guy.  you could either watch it for an hour or try motrin. 

just tell hubby to simmer on the meds for the lower temps though :)  hope he feels better soon!

Quoting 3mommyandwifey:

Its 102. Dh loves to give him medicine to break it. I am hoping its gone in a few hours.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

• amzbrznjz
    January 31, 2013 at 9:50 PM

I agree if it is high and your DS in miserable give him meds...but uf he acting ok let he fever run its course...explain to your DH when you give meds.  it does not cure the fever, it brings it down but then you are taking away your ds body way of fighting off the virus....

• la_bella_vita
    February 1, 2013 at 12:32 AM

I hope your child is feeling better

• kblpooh
    by kblpooh
    February 1, 2013 at 12:37 AM
    My son is on day 3 of a fever. I looked up some info about this on pinterest. I will try to find the link to a few ideas. I haven't tried them because his fevers were mostly between 102-104 and he has been miserable so I gave meds.

Toddlers & Preschoolers