Toddlers & Preschoolers

XandersMomma07
Night Time Potty training ***UPDATE***
January 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Ok my son has using the potty during the day down fine no accidents and he loves wearing underwear, what do you ladies recommend as the best thing for night training? He knows until he can get night time down he doesn't wear underwear to bed but he don't want pull ups he says they are diapers and babies wear diapers and he is NOT a baby. He fights having to put on a pull up at night. Is there anything out there that works like pulls ups but look more like real underwear? FYI My son is five has been trained for almost 2 months daytime still working on nighttime. I know he is older but he is special needs and has a sensory disorder that interfeared with training.

UPDATE: I took him with me to the store and let him pick, we ended up with 2 packs of goodnites.He saw the Spiderman ones (the last pack they had of them) and said look mommy Spiderman, I want the Spiderman ones. So we got those and the employees were just then restocking that section of the store and he picked out a big pack of the regular goodnites because they had Chopters (Helicopters) and Monster trucks on them. So now he wants to put them on at night and they fit more like underwear and less like diapers and he loves that. I want to say thanks to all of you who helped.

Replies

• JocelynsMama1
    February 3, 2013 at 8:39 AM

what about cloth diapersthey would look and feel like under wear to him but be thick enough because they are a diaper....and we didnt really ever potty train at night i just left her in pull ups till she quit having them wet in the morning (which wasnt very long and then one night i heard something up stair so i went to look and she was peeing and apparently she had been getting up and pottying on her own in the night often without me knowing lol...she was sooo easy i dont think shes ever wet the bed.....maybe once but i honestly think ive only changed the sheets for puke lol

• mypbandj
    Jen
    February 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    You can buy cloth training pants. There are about 5,428 varieties so google away!

Of course it's already been said, but you cannot night train a child. My son, with sensory issues, wet the bed till age seven. My friends son, with no special needs, still wets the bed and he's 12!
  • aeg1991
    by aeg1991
    February 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM
    My stepson is five and a half and still wets the bed five out of seven nights a week. We have tried pullups, goodnites, and just underwear, and it all depends on how soundly he is sleeping. Don't give up, every child is different!
  • PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    February 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM

That is awesome. :)

• January1964
    February 4, 2013 at 5:50 AM

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

The thing is that you cannot night train a child.  Their brain needs to release a hormone that slows urine production at night.  This happens when it happens. 

Unless you want to do a lot of laundry, I would sit him down and explain that he IS a big boy and wearing a pullup at night isn't because of anything he's doing or not doing, his body just isn't ready yet.  Just like he can't force himself to be as tall as Daddy tomorrow, he can't force this either.  Once he's waking up dry for a few weeks consistently, move to underwear.

I also like the pull up over the underwear idea.  Maybe after you explain that it's out of his control, he'll be more willing to compromise with underwear AND a pull up.

This is the correct answer! It cannot be forced. My dd  who is 3 1/2 will drink 8 oz of water right before she goes to sleep, and she never wets the bed.

Toddlers & Preschoolers