Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Mommy2aboy33
25 Hour Drive!!! HELP!
January 29, 2013 at 6:05 PM
We are driving 25 hours today into late tomorrow night. We are going to N. Dakota for a wedding. We have 2 3-year old boys and I am wondering if theirs anything that I can get to entertain them. This is the longest drive we've taken them (12 hrs was the most and even that was so hard for them.) We bought them a Nintendo DS with 2 video games (we let them pick it out) and 5 new movies they haven't seen. We have a DVD player in the back setup for them to watch movies. We also bought playing cards so they could play go fish and stuff in the car. Is there anything else we should bring to make the ride a little less painful for them?

Replies

• illinoismommy83
    January 29, 2013 at 6:07 PM

Do you have an iPad or anything similar? Even a $99 tablet from the pharmacy would do. I would load a tablet with tons of exciting new apps and the kids should be just fine. When my daughter was 3 she loved to play on her iphone. 

• kjbugsmom1517
    January 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM
    Coloring books and crayons do well here
  • careyphotoo
    January 30, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    Def coloring books and crayons and if your afraid there going to draw on ur car get the crayola magic markers that only work on certain paper out kids love those for long car rides. My dd who is about to be 3 likes little toys to, to play with when we go somewhere.
  • kimber2465
    January 30, 2013 at 6:53 AM

, my kids always like the little workbooks( that have them at the dollar store)  drawing pad, crayons, coloring book, the small travel games, snacks, clothes that aren't not pack that you can get to also without having to unpack the car.

• SoJosMom
    January 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    Snacks. Never let anyone get too hungry. :-)
  • huskermom98
    January 30, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Coloring books, wide choice of DVDs (my boys tend to want to watch the same videos each trip), small cars (like Matchbox)--especially new ones they've never seen/had before, and plenty of snacks.

• mom2the.rescue
    January 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I highly recommend to get some inexpensive, fun toys you're okay with them playing with on the drive...then wrap them all.  When they start to get restless, hand them a toy to unwrap & tell them they're doing so great on your long car ride that they get a present.  Ideas are: bubbles, any travel game, poppers that you'll let them throw when you stop for a break, candy, art stuff, even a roll of aluminum foil-you can make crowns, watches, super hero stuff...pack good snacks and maybe a portable potty...

• TerriAnne2606
    January 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM

what about books and crayons and color books?  Also, stickers and activity books.  Stop occasionally to let them get out and stretch their legs, snacks - lots of fruit and easy to eat stuff.  Plenty of water and some juices.  Use stickers and the snacks / juices as bribes.  Usually don't believe in that but for a drive that long, it does work (we've been to NYC from Austin, TX three times now and our youngest just turned 3).  Good luck!

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    January 30, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Sorry I have no idea.  The longest drive we've been on is 3 hours one way, stayed a couple days, and then 3 hours back home.

• emkirkley
    January 30, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I agree with what's been said, we made workbooks for our oldest two when we drove last summer, stuff about the states we were in (for the little one it was mostly coloring stuff-she was almsot 3), count certain objects out the windows, coloring, maze, puzzle books, videos they've never seen plus some of their favorites, plain paper to draw on, a box of new tiny toys from dollar tree, lots of snacks.

I hate to say it, but I would hate to be in your kids position...I hate to drive that far, I can't imagine trying to make my toddlers/preschoolers do it.  It was hard enough doing 8 hours of drive time one day and 4 the next on our 12 hour drive to Disney, and they at least knew there was something worth the drive at the end.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN