Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
rHOPEb
Pedi did NOT test for the flu!
by rHOPEb
January 26, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Our daughter started running a fever on Tuesday and complained of a headache and sore throat.  I assumed strep.  But then she started saying her whole body hurt and she was just 'cold.'  Her temp was always low, which is odd for her b/c she usually runs very high fevers.  Well, hubby takes her to pedi Wed and says she just has virus and sends on the way.  Come Friday she is snotty and coughing.  Still got low fever (99-100) off and on.  So, Saturday morning I call pedi to see if they will call in antibiotic to get rid of GREEN boogers.  Have to take in.  This doc decides to test for flu.  I say I thought she was already tested and she said no just for strep on Wed.  UGH!!!!!!  I thought this was a bad flu season and all kids are being tested now.  I am ticked!!!  She has a sinus infection, upper respiratory infection, AND flu.  Plus she has infected several other children this week b/c we did not know..........I'm just a bit frustrated...........

Replies

• Ktina11
    by Ktina11
    January 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM
    *Shrugs* My mds son had the same symptoms this week. We managed it at home. No dr.
  • ardiaxe
    by ardiaxe
    January 27, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Quoting Ktina11:

*Shrugs* My mds son had the same symptoms this week. We managed it at home. No dr.

Same here, we all had these symptoms, my husband and kids and we managed at home.  

• Luvmy2babies22
    January 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM

I'm sorry she's feeling crappy and has those infections but I'm not sure what it would have mattered if they had tested her for the flu.  There's nothing you can do for the flu anyway except ride it out and treat any secondary infections, which you are.  I hope she feels better soon.

• BramblePatch
    January 27, 2013 at 1:29 AM
    Not true. Tamiflu, when started within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms can reduce the symptoms and shorten the duration of influenza. I woke up Tuesday with all the symptoms of the flu....hit the doctor at 3pm and had my first Tamiflu by 4pm.

I actually tested negative for the flu HOWEVER the flu test is 1) not able to detect flu early into the illness and 2) even later into the illness is only 60% accurate. So the Tamiflu for me was precautionary.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I'm sorry she's feeling crappy and has those infections but I'm not sure what it would have mattered if they had tested her for the flu.  There's nothing you can do for the flu anyway except ride it out and treat any secondary infections, which you are.  I hope she feels better soon.

• MedicMommy2
    January 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM

You do realize that not all green snot means she needs antibiotics right? Just calling in to get them because of that is why so many kids are immune to the antibiotics now.

• babowes
    by babowes
    January 27, 2013 at 1:56 AM
    It is a tough season!!! Hugs!
  • Luvmy2babies22
    January 27, 2013 at 2:23 AM

Huh, learn something new every day.  I grew up just riding it out and letting it run its course.

Quoting BramblePatch:

Not true. Tamiflu, when started within 48 hours of the onset of symptoms can reduce the symptoms and shorten the duration of influenza. I woke up Tuesday with all the symptoms of the flu....hit the doctor at 3pm and had my first Tamiflu by 4pm.

I actually tested negative for the flu HOWEVER the flu test is 1) not able to detect flu early into the illness and 2) even later into the illness is only 60% accurate. So the Tamiflu for me was precautionary.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

• erinsmom1964
    January 27, 2013 at 3:35 AM

4 kids over 28 years and none of us have ever been tested for the flu.  You knew your child wasn't feeling well and Pedi told you a virus so if you REALLY cared about infecting others you would of kept her home.  

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    January 27, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I went to the doc two weeks ago with the same symptoms. They did not test me. With the flu fevers usually run higher. I am still sick, but I know it's not the flu, b/c I can actually move around.
    Was the test negative? 

• rHOPEb
    by rHOPEb
    January 27, 2013 at 10:59 AM

The test was neg for strep Wed, but positive for flu Sat.  Sympotoms started Tues.  I've heard you can run all kinds of 'fevers' with the flu this year....some low some high :(  Its just been a hard year!  My daughter usually runs very very high fevers when she gets sick, so with a low fever we weren't too concerned.......

Quoting bhwrn1:

I went to the doc two weeks ago with the same symptoms. They did not test me. With the flu fevers usually run higher. I am still sick, but I know it's not the flu, b/c I can actually move around.
    Was the test negative? 

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN