Toddlers & Preschoolers

zuzusmomma
Potty training woes
January 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM
My daughter turned 3 this past November and she is still in diapers. I have read a lot of blogs and other info giving tips for potty training but I haven't had much success. After giving it careful thought I realized that its my laziness which has inhibited the process. I will have a "potty play day" only a couple of days a week and usually give up by nap time. This past Saturday she peed on the potty for the first time and I haven't put her in panties since then. I know that I am going to be attacked by other Moms! Yikes guys be easy. I am a total perfectionist. I am the type who thinks that if I'm not going to get the results I want then why bother. That's so unfair to my daughter. Don't they say "knowing is half the battle"? I vow to do better from this moment forward. I have to combat her stubbornness with an iron will!

Replies

• iansmommy9
    January 23, 2013 at 2:04 PM

With potty training, you'r mindset has to change to "Practice makes perfect."

Make sure she knows what you want her to do. She needs to see you do it.

If she's ready to potty train, put her in some big girl underwear with her normal clothes and let her go. She won't like being wet and she'll figure out the potty training thing a lot faster than you think. Just so you know, pooping in the potty will take a bit longer than pee pee training.

• erikays
    by erikays
    January 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    I'm the same battle as you, we are on day 3, he's going commando with his 8 yr old brothers shirt.

In the last 3 days he's only had 2 accidents, not bad! It's exhausting but I'm determined! I downloaded the iGoPotty app and he gets "phone calls", in the past we've tried EVERYTHING, this is the only thing that has made him excited!

I would do the underwear but we have no washer/dryer in our apartment :/
  • Luvmy2babies22
    January 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Well remember that you being a perfectionist is irrelevant to this process because it's not about you :)  When she was learning to walk did you push her down every time she got up until you knew she would do it perfectly?  Probably not.  You probably sat back and watched her stumble and pick herself back up and giggled at the process. 

Put her in underwear all day except for sleeping and then be prepared to clean up a lot of accidents.  Take her frequently but don't force her.  If she resists, let her be.  If she pees on herself then take her to the potty, sit her down, remind her where the pee goes and then clean her and the accident up while showing no emotion.  Go nuts when she is successful and try to get her striving for that response from you a lot.  My DD LOVED the verbal praise way more than any treat we tried to bribe her with.

It takes time, hang in there.

• Curla711
    January 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM

My 2 1/2 year old has NO interest in the potty right now. I keep trying to reinforce it. I feel when they are ready they will go but a nice little push from us will always help. Working on the potty training is hard work but with hard work comes accomplishments. she'll get there.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    January 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

It does sound like you might be holding her back.  At least give her the chance to try. :)

• xoxRachelxox
    January 23, 2013 at 7:15 PM

My middle son wasn't fully potty trained until around 4.5 and I was fine with that. They will potty train, when they're ready. 

I would just ask him if he wanted to use the potty throughout the day. If he said yes then off we'd go and if he went then he got a treat. If he said he didn't want to go then I was okay with that too. 

I really didn't think it would ever happen but it did, when he was ready. 

My youngest is mostly potty trained with the exception of bedtime. He's 3. He'll stay dry at night, when he's ready. 

Toddlers & Preschoolers