Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
kerrylee39
Timeout isnt working...
January 22, 2013 at 11:19 AM
So im a mom of 3, my second child, who just turned 27 months is a character.... He does not really listen when we dont want to do something... I tell him, the count then timeout... Well timeout is the greatest thing in his eyes... Weve changed location, duration, etc, but nothing matters. At daycare they say he listens well... The biggest thing we have trouble with at home is climbing and wanting foid/drink( he wants to eat and drink literally all day). Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts about how to discipline effectivly?

Replies

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    January 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Sorry I don't know. Time-out works great with my daughter and we are at the point that she hasn't been in time out for who knows how long.  I would check out the boook 1-2-3 Magic and see if they give you any other ideas.

• Thewife06
    January 23, 2013 at 7:38 AM

If he is wanting to eat or drink all day try giving him more filling foods.  Oatmeal for breakfast does wonders for my son.  And we have water available to him whenever he wants to get a drink. 

As for timeout, if he enjoys it, maybe try 'quiet time' instead of time out.  It's removing him from the situation but not punishing him.  Sounds weird, but it seems like he just needs to take a beat and get distracted from whatever he is doing. 

• kerrylee39
    January 23, 2013 at 10:12 AM
    As far as food goes, its either oatmeal with banana or eggs and fruit usually, cereal doesnt fill him... He eats large meals and we dont even buy junk food so hes not getting a lot of empty calories. Snacks might be an apple with peanut butter or fruit and cheese or veggies and hummus, things that should be filling... He drinks mostly water already.
    I did try moving the chair into the room today like someone suggested and made him face the wall. He didnt face the wall the whole time but sat better. Hes still in the fridge non stop, but guessing correcting that. I just keep telling him he cant go in there and if hes hungry he needs to use his words and tell us. Maybe he is someone who needs quiet time vs time out. Ive been looking for other activites that are new to him to keep him busy too... Thank you for all of your input!! It really helps!!
  • corrinacs
    January 23, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Hey,

Why does he like timeout so much?  It sounds like perhaps he's being overly stimulated and enjoys the peace and quiet once in a while.  He could be the loudest kid in the park and prefer quietness once in a while.  Try to put in more quiet time into his day if you can ;).

As far as eating/drinking all day.....that's normal.  My son does the same darn thing.  I swear, he east ALL THE TIME and he's the skinniest kid ever.  Just make sure he snacks very often :).

But as far as punishment, you are going to have to forgo timeouts IMO.  If he's just having a rough time and acting up/not listening, perhaps you shouln't "punish" but give him his timeout to calm down.

But for things that truly need a punishment.......you will need to devise something else like taking things away.

Good luck :) 

• .Angelica.
    January 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM

i let my kids eat and drink when they want. more frequent, small meals are actually better than 3 large meals.

As for time out. it never worked with my son either. I had to take away toys to get him to listen.

• iansmommy9
    January 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM

My son is 28 months old and is quite the explorerer too. We have age appropriate things for him to climb on like a slide outside and he also has step stools placed around the house for him to access what he needs (potties, sinks for hand washing, and the kitchen counter.) I also have his snacks on the lowest level of the pantry to reduce any desire to climb up for them. He's allowed to go into the pantry and pick his own snack. Toddlers need to feel like they're in control of their lives.

As for time outs...are you showing him frustration when you put him there? If you get upset, angry or frustrated, it can quickly become a game. I use the microwave timer for my son. 2 minutes every time. If he starts acting silly and gets up, calmyly, put him back in the time out spot, and rest the timer to 2 minutes.. You have to do it EVERY time. There have been times time out has lasted 6 or 7 mintes because of all the resets I did. After he does his time out, go to him, explain why he was in time out (or have him tell you), he apologizes, give hugs, and go on about your day.

It's going to take him a few times to realize you're not going to play the game with him.

• jessi2girls
    January 23, 2013 at 12:14 PM

1- food and drinks.. give him water between meals, and keep a snack out (fruit or veggies only).. If he fills up on them, so be it, at least it's a healthy food. But don't punish/time out for wanting food.

2-Make sure he's getting more attention, and appropriate things to do for a kid his age (kids are going to climb, it's part of how they learn.. so try making a safe area for him to climb up onto.. a couch for instance is okay (so long as he doesn't climb to the back of the couch, lol).. and make sure he's getting enough quiet/nap time too.

• womanwifemomof3
    January 23, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Provide more filling snacks. think whole grains, proteins and always have a sippy cup of water for him - don't keep juice at your house  Water and milk are much healthier anyway for his age.  Save juice for special occasions.  Don't keep junky snacks you don't want him eating around the house.  Then let him eat whenever.  Maybe his young body needs regular healthy snacks rather than major meals

take him to a park or gym or find ways that he can get out his energy

He's a bit young for timeout. Kids always do better for others than their parents.   I also don't see what you need to discipline him for.  Being hungry, active, and wanting to do his own thing is being a toddler. If you know he's not going to listen when you yell GET DOWN then just walk over to him and gently take him down and look him in his sweet little face and say Stay down I don't want you to get hurt.  Tell him when he can climb or what he can do now.

• womanwifemomof3
    January 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM

put a few of his snacks prepared  and on a low shelf in the frig so he can help himself

• TheMommaJessie
    January 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM

swats work very well with my 27 month old ds

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts