Toddlers & Preschoolers

Nikkijessie
Getting rid of the paci
January 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM
My 20 month old refuses to give up his paci. I got rid of his bottle at 1 year and switch his to soppy cups he had no problem with that. It's that dang pacifier. I only let him have it when he's Laying down. I need tips on how to slowly make him forget about it. He has the best memory so it's had to act like he doesn't have one

Replies

• Luvmy2babies22
    January 21, 2013 at 12:42 AM

He's not even 2, his short term memory is VERY limited.  We do cold turkey.  It's always easier to just get rid of it and be done with it.  He may have a tough night or 2 but kids are very adaptable.  As long as you give it to him at all, he won't forget about it.    With that said, we let our son keep his until he was 3 (he had it only for sleeping after he was 18 months).  The dentist said it was fine.  If you want to get rid of it, get rid of it.  If things are working with it, it won't hurt his teeth or anything to have it for another 6 months or so...

• CheyennesMommy2
    January 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
    Cold turkey. Thats how we did it. It was hard but she forgot it..she was a lil over 2. It was only at night..so we tired her out, like no nap, played outside A BUNCH, ran around like crazy...then let her watch a movie..she fell asleep..woke up, didnt ask. Did the same thing for like three nights, then ditched the movie, n got her to go to bed.
  • adamswife08
    January 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Just take it away. Simple as that. We took my son off of his paci at 1 year and we just cut him cold turkey and he fussed for about 3 days and then he got over it. When my daughter was born, he would try and use hers and we reminded him that paci's are for babies and hes not a baby, hes a big boy and he stopped.

• Nikkijessie
    January 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM
    I guess I just need to suck it up and take it away. His teeth have already curved around the paci so I thinks I just need to do it now. Thanks I was just worried about him going crazy because we don't give it to him. I tried before n he screamed all night and woke up in the middle of the night crying n I caved n gave it to him. I'll try wearing him out tommarow and see if he makes it without his paci I won't cave this time
  • babygomez
    January 21, 2013 at 1:51 AM

He's going to cry either way, hang in there. He will forget about it after a few days, I promise! :)

Quoting Nikkijessie:

I guess I just need to suck it up and take it away. His teeth have already curved around the paci so I thinks I just need to do it now. Thanks I was just worried about him going crazy because we don't give it to him. I tried before n he screamed all night and woke up in the middle of the night crying n I caved n gave it to him. I'll try wearing him out tommarow and see if he makes it without his paci I won't cave this time

• Mrs.Bolin
    January 21, 2013 at 2:14 AM

cold turkey. Dont slowly do it.  He will get over it. i promise. dont give in. Just do it

• hollydaze1974
    January 21, 2013 at 2:22 AM
    Alot of mother's snip the very end of so the suction disappears and it because much less desirable.
    Both of mine gave them up for different reasons. On their own, but I've read that losing the suction takes the " soothing " out of it , especially if they've already chosen a " lovey "
  • Mommyprinc3ss3s
    January 21, 2013 at 5:26 AM
    I did the snip a little bit with my 3yr dd and almost 2yr dd. But then I was afraid they might choke (they only got them for bed at this point). So Christmas morning "Santa" had taken them to newborn babies in the hospital and left a "present" instead. The presents were dolls. Here we are almost a month later my 2yr dd might fuss for her binky at night but they are both fine :)
  • BipolarMom09
    January 21, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Our oldest DS gave up the bottle and binky at 10 months old when he got RSV. Then with our youngest DS, we took the binky away completely around 5-6 months I believe, just because we didn't want to fight him later on when he got older. We took the bottle away around 13-14 months with him. Taking it away cold turkey worked best for us and sure it makes for a looong few days but you just have to stick with it. It will get better, I promise :) With this baby, we will take the binky away around 6 months or so again and bottle around a year old again. Good luck and just stick with it and be strong!! ;)

• emeraldangel2.0
    January 21, 2013 at 10:02 AM

mine never took one, thank God.

Toddlers & Preschoolers