Toddlers & Preschoolers

mrsjksimmons
Behavior issues!
January 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM

We put DS into PreK this year because we felt that behaviorally, he wasn't ready for K. Intellectually, he is above the minimum standards that they like to see when kids start K. Well, now his behavior is atrocious. He acts like a baby. He hits, kicks, spits. All of this he didn't do before he started school back in August. I am so fed up with his school. I can see where parents get disillusioned with the public school system. Part of the problem is they have 3-turning-4 yo & 4-turning-5 yo's in the same class. He has 2 or 3 little boys who are bullies. And I had to find out that they were bullying my son and others after prying the information out of the teacher one day right before Christmas break. I feel disgusted that in a class of 16 kids that is only 3 hours long, they can't control the kids.

Replies

• corrinacs
    January 13, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Hey mama,

You know what, not being mean, but I think oyu may have made a mistake keeping him behind.  We thought long and hard about the same thing with my son.  He made the cutoff for Kindergarten by a few days.  But hew as more than ready intelectually.  He as actually more than ready on all fronts, so we let him start.  

I am glad we did, though.  When he was in preschool, he was place in the class with children exactly his age.  He did the same thing, started acting out...acting younger than himself, etc.  Come to find that it was boredom....and that fact that he was tired of acting like the "smartypants'.  We moved him up to the class ahead and that stopped immediately.

I hope you can figure out what's going on.  It may be a combination of boredom and like you said......the children aren't the best and the teachers aren't doing much either to stifle it.  Good luck!

• mrsjksimmons
    January 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM

I think that it's because we live in such a small town where everybody pretty much is born, lives, and dies here. We live in a town of 1500 people. I grew up in an area like this and I swore I wouldn't raise my son in one. I have seen a couple of the bullies acting out and I've gotten looks for correcting them. \

One time, I saw one little boy push another child out of their way so the boy could get to his cubby. I corrected the boy and told him that we shouldn't push people because it was rude and not nice. Another mom was standing right there, saw it happen, and didn't say anything. 

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

You know what, not being mean, but I think oyu may have made a mistake keeping him behind.  We thought long and hard about the same thing with my son.  He made the cutoff for Kindergarten by a few days.  But hew as more than ready intelectually.  He as actually more than ready on all fronts, so we let him start.  

I am glad we did, though.  When he was in preschool, he was place in the class with children exactly his age.  He did the same thing, started acting out...acting younger than himself, etc.  Come to find that it was boredom....and that fact that he was tired of acting like the "smartypants'.  We moved him up to the class ahead and that stopped immediately.

I hope you can figure out what's going on.  It may be a combination of boredom and like you said......the children aren't the best and the teachers aren't doing much either to stifle it.  Good luck!

• corrinacs
    January 13, 2013 at 9:44 PM

That's absolutely the wrost.  I don't know if that's just with small towns though :/.  I live inthe DC area and this happens ALL THE TIME here :/.  Except, intsead of a handful of childrne in the class, its with about 30 kids on the playground.  What has happened to parenting these days :/.

Good luck!  

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

I think that it's because we live in such a small town where everybody pretty much is born, lives, and dies here. We live in a town of 1500 people. I grew up in an area like this and I swore I wouldn't raise my son in one. I have seen a couple of the bullies acting out and I've gotten looks for correcting them. \

One time, I saw one little boy push another child out of their way so the boy could get to his cubby. I corrected the boy and told him that we shouldn't push people because it was rude and not nice. Another mom was standing right there, saw it happen, and didn't say anything. 

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

• Luvmy2babies22
    January 14, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I agree with this.  My son was starting to act up in his pre-k as well (a private Montessori) and we were SO frustrated because we had no idea where it was coming from.  It finally dawned on us that he had just outgrown the school.  He needed a bigger pond and public K provided that for him (1000 kids in his school!).  He's doing FANTASTIC in K this year.  Unfortunately, he's not challenged academically but the social stuff is more than enough to make up for that and he's not bored at all.

Quoting corrinacs:

Hey mama,

You know what, not being mean, but Ithink oyu may have made a mistake keeping him behind.  We thought long and hard about the same thing with my son.  He made the cutoff for Kindergarten by a few days.  But hew as more than ready intelectually.  He as actually more than ready on all fronts, so we let him start.  

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    January 14, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Maybe he is too far ahead of his class so he acts out.  I've seen it happen before.

Toddlers & Preschoolers