Toddlers & Preschoolers

mabreenuh
I'm Terrified of daycare..
January 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

My son is 2.5 and not potty trained. I thought i could start at 2 and a half and send him to preschool this August at 3. My DH has been blessed with finding a a full time job and I'm working days as well. Our other children are school aged so they are taken care of. when they were younger my mom kept them. She is in poor health now and cant do it. With our hours he will need care from 7am to 5pm...That's a LONG day for an adult, let alone a 2 year old. Its also expensive...anyone have stories on how they managed???

Replies

• momdays
    by momdays
    January 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

That is a long day. I always stress about having to get DS into daycare one day too. Lots of kids and parents do it though. My sister is a teacher and her 3 toddlers go into daycare from 7 am to 5 pm too. It will probably take some getting used to.

• MommieCotter42
    January 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM
    It's hard but when you find the right person you will know. When I had to look for care for my kids it was hard but I found an amazing lady it made my first day back to work easy. My kids where 3 and 6 months. My kids adjusted well and loved going that is how I knew it was the right place. A year ago I was able to finally stay home with my girls and my kids wanted to still go over. I stood friends with our sitter that we make play dates still and I help her when she needs help with her center. Good luck and it will be okay.
  • aidyns_mommy
    January 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM
    Imscared to death. Dsis 4.5 & I just got a full time job 8-7pm m-sat w/1 day off a week. I am so sad, nervous etc. I am even considering turning down the job...
  • calvinsmommy18
    January 8, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    Sorry hun. I'm no help here. My mom watches the kids. But they're going to Florida for Feb and March so I HAD to change my availability at work to 430pm to midnight. So that MIL can watch the kids when she gets out of work til dh can out of work and take them home. Its not really what I WANT to do but its what I HAVE to do since 2 kids in daycare would cost way more than I even make. Ds would only go 1/2 day since he goes to preschool but its still not managable.
  • Whitney15
    January 8, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I completely understand your feelings! I work in a childcare. My first suggestion is pay what you can. If you try to go cheaper, you get crappier care. Sucks, but it's the truth. I'm not sure where you live, but in OKlahoma, the more training and schooling you have, the more you are required to charge. I work in a childcare where the weekly rate for a 2.5 year old is $150. 

Look around for people. Ask around for referrals. You want to find a place that doesn't have a lot of turnover in staff OR children. I have worked at my job for 5 years, and the kids that we sent to school this year are the same kids that we got as babies. You want to make sure they're licensed. Personally, as a mom, I would want to find a place that has an open door policy. That means you are welcome to come at any time you want. 

Don't worry about your son either. He will love it! If he is in a good place, he will be stimulated all day with activities and other kids. It is always way harder for the parent than for the kid..if he has a hard time wathcing you leaving the first 2 or 3 days, don't worry..that is completely normal. If he is in a good place, they will reassure him throughout the day that mom or dad will be coming back. Most kids I've seen will cry until about 10 seconds after their parent walks out of the door! Most of the time, it's just a show for you lol!! 

• MamaDearie
    January 8, 2013 at 7:37 AM

If the daycare is going to be very expensive and you are worried about lweaving him for such a long time- is it worth it for you to continue working? How much of your check will go to daycare? Just something to consider.

• Shelhead
    January 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM

It is expensive and maybe it's different because my almost 3 yr old has been in daycare since he was 6 weeks, but he's fine with it if you find the right place. He'll get to socialize with a bunch of other kids,which is nice. He loves his friends and always introduces to a new friend if that kid is still there when I get there. In the toddler room at my daycare it's pretty structured, which is good. They do breakfast, then play time, then art, specials like spanish, music, sign language, etc and everything is scheduled in 15-20 min increments to keep their attention. The first week might be difficult, but once he gets used to it, he may not even realize how much time is past. Then I love the excitement when he sees me walking through the door with a gigantic hug, which makes me feel good.

• corrinacs
    January 8, 2013 at 10:37 AM

My children are/were in dayare like that Monday - Friday.  I drop him off at 9am and pick him up at 6pm (commute).  I don't like it, but it is what it is.  I have to think what is best for my family.......staying with them more means less money....less money means we won't be able to afford to live properly :/.  So, I work.

With the expense, I singed up for a flex spending account for childcare.  It helps at least with the taxes.

But I try to spend as much tiem with my children at night and on the weekends as I possibly can :/.  I also tell my boss about activities like plays and such that my children put on so that i can leave early to see those.  Iam lucky (and I chose0 to work for a cmpany that values work/family balance, so I can manage.

But, its something I have to do.  And I just don't beat myself up over it :).

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    January 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Daycare makes me feel guilty, and that is coming from someone who had their child in daycare a couple times a week for a couple of hours while working full-time (my husband had days off during the week and some days he went in late -- so it wasn't five days a week full-time).  I NEVER got over feeling guilty and would rush to go pick her up,even if I got off early or went home sick.  I NEVER got used to her being there. I thank God it was only a year of her life!

• January1964
    January 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Mine is in from 9--4. Can you get slightly different work hours?

Toddlers & Preschoolers