Toddlers & Preschoolers

katie_c25
Developmental questions about my 3 year old
January 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Hi everyone. My DS turned 3 in september. I was just wondering if any moms out there with kids the same age could tell me if their little ones can catch a ball or pedal a trike or color right? So far my son can't really do any, he will try to catch a ball, but always grabs a couple seconds after it hits him. He has had his trike since March of last year, he can reach the pedals, but after a couple tries he just puts his feet on the ground and pushes it that way. When he colors, he just scribbles the whole page instead of trying to color diferent things. Just wondering if that's normal or if he should be doing some of those things already.

He has some signs of high functioning autism and I have an appointment to discuss that with his pediatrician, so I kinda wanted to know if this is something I should bring up while i'm there.

TIA

Replies

• 2under5.mom
    January 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

when my DS was 3 he knew how to pedal but catching not so much. He'll be 5 on the 16th and still has trouble catching..out of 10 throws he'll probably catch about 6. And hes just now getting better with coloring..he use to use 1 color and scribble the whole page but i taught him coloring is for using colors lol and i tell him to color nicely and not crazy..hes finally getting better with it! I think your DS is just fine hes newly 3 he'll have everything down packed by the times hes 5!! GL mama!!!

• Foleygirl24
    January 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM

My son turned 3 in August. He can catch big balls, like soccer sized or larger, but not the little ones (unless you throw it literally right to his hands). He doens't have a tricycle, he has one of those hot wheels (with the big wheel in front) and he can peddle it, but doesn't steer too well. As for coloring, he used to just scribble the whole page, but recently (as in the past few weeks) started trying to color different things/inside the lines. Still not great at staying in the lines, but better.  Hope that helps!

• Luvmy2babies22
    January 2, 2013 at 4:46 PM

My daughter is 3 1/2 and can ride a bike with training wheels.  When she free-hand colors it's mostly scribbles although she's just started making faces within the last month.  She's just now starting to color things in on coloring pages.  Preschool has been the tipping point for her fine motor skills development.  She's progresssed a ton since Sept.  She probably can't catch a ball.  I admit that when it comes to that stuff we have been neglectful :( 

My son was over 4 before he was really trying to color things in or color actual things.  It started with faces too.  Again, preschool being the thing that really propelled those skills forward.  He got his first bike at 4 but he's been catching forever.  He's very athletic though.  At 2 1/2 he could throw a ball up for himself and hit it with a bat :)  That's his strength though. 

• CLEKate
    by CLEKate
    January 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM

My 3.5 YO can catch the ball only sometimes.  A few months ago he never caught it.  He does not yet know how to pedal a bike---and neither does my 4.5 YO.  When it comes to coloring, both of my boys do a whole lot of scribbling.  My 4.5 YO is just now grasping coloring in the lines--but if you give him a piece of blank paper and a crayon, he scribbles the colors until the whole page is filled up.

I don't think any of the things you mentio are signs of autism.  I think they are just normal development things---and there is wide variety in when kids develop these types of items.

• squeakers2
    January 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    My daughter turned 3 Sept 24th. She got her trike for her 2nd birthday, but didn't learn to peddle it until a few months before her 3rd birthday. She rarely catches a ball. Not bc she's slow on the reflex, her hands are just usually in the wrong place. And she thinks its hilarious to be hit with a ball (we always thrown soft balls at the kids. They think its the greatest). Most of her coloring is scribbling, sometimes an organize scribble with colors in certain places, other times unorganized. However, she also has physical delays from having shorter bones in her fingers and arthritis in her legs and one hand.
  • MedicMommy2
    January 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM

My daughter will be 3 January 25th and she can ride her bike with training wheels, a trike she got for her 1st bday she started using the peddles at about 18-20 months BUT she has an older brother and he taught her. He was probably 2 when he learned to peddle. My daughter can sort of color in the lines where my boy is 6 and is just now really good at it. My son was closer to 5 before he could catch a ball consistently and my daughter can if it is a bigger ball, but a smaller one she closes her hands too slow. My daughter has wide spectrum SPD which has some signs of autism so I would have your son checked for that first. It is sensory processing disorder and thankfully they do not medicate just lots of OT. My daughter got diagnosed at 2 and almost a year later she is a totally different child(she still makes me bat-shit crazy but she is a world away from where we started).

I am sure there are things your son is AMAZING at. Just remember that all kids do develop differently and usually when they master a new skill they lose some or all of another. Like, my daughter is horrid when it comes to getting her to tell you what she knows but she knows it and it shows in her playing. She is also really good at puzzles that even my 6 year old struggles with, but her communication skills suck. She can totally dress and undress herself, but comes unglued at the thought of bath-time. So cut yourself and your kid a little slack and look at the big picture.

• katie_c25
    January 2, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Thanks everybody. Seems like the pedaling is an it might start soon thing, the coloring is a be patient and wait thing, and the ball thing he's a little behind on lol. We also use the basketball size play balls. MedicMommy2, I also have a 6 year old, she tries to teach him but usually ends up getting screamed at lol. As for SPD, he does the lining things up and repetitive play things (same puzzle he's had mastered for a year and he will do it over and over for like an hour if nobody buggs him too much) so i think that points more towards autism spectrum, but he does have some sensory issues, not sure if they are part of the possible ASD or if it's seperate, but definitely something I will keep an eye on, thank you.

• erinsmom1964
    January 2, 2013 at 5:24 PM

sounds normal for a just turned 3 child

• debramommyof4
    January 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM

My kids are on either side of your son.  I have a son who is turning 4 in Feb. and a dd turning 3 in April.  Niether can catch a ball, my son has been pedaling his bike for a few years now but my daughter cant and is no where near learning.  She even refuses to try and she has always been around trikes.  Niether are coloring inside the lines but my 5 year old is still having issues with that sometimes.

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    January 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

my son is 3 (4 in March) and can't pedal a trike or bike yet, I'm not sure what you mean by "color right", and he can catch large balls but not small ones. My next door neighbor has a 5 year old who can't ride his bike either... every child is different and I don't necessarily think that these particular milestones are something to base anything off of mama.

Toddlers & Preschoolers