Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Cafe Kelly
Crafts for the Holidays Challenge Day 2: Build a House
December 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Gingerbread houses are a classic holiday craft! Since I didn't have gingerbread in my house, we made a graham cracker house instead. It was a good substitution and easy to work with.

Materials needed:
Gingerbread or graham crackers
Icing
A piece of cardboard
Miscellaneous candy

I started by putting icing on the piece of cardboard as my foundation (I wanted to make sure the sides stayed up so I used a small tissue box and attached the sides to that). After sides were on we made the roof.

Once the house was standing my 3 year old and 18 month old took turns decorating the house. This craft is great because kids of all ages can get involved!

Did you ever make gingerbread houses as a kid? Is it something that you usually do with your kids around the holidays?

If you missed yesterday's activity, you can find it hereIf you haven't signed up for the Crafts for the Holidays Challenge yet, you can do so here.

Replies

• LexRi0709
    December 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM
    We never made gingerbread houses as a kid. I hate gingerbread! I just might do this with my kids. I will have to see if I have graham crackers to do it. It looks fun!
  • Lizzys_mommy13

We are doing this soon, but with rice crispy treats! 
    We did gingerbread houses last year, but learned that they don't stay together super well... and we ate all the goodies that went on them faster than we could put them on them. lol 

• MamaBear2cubs

I have been wanting to do one wih the kids forever.Maybe this weekend

• tabby1979
    December 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I've done a couple of these...this may be something I do with the kids when school lets out for winter break.

• MrsErdos2011
    December 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I made my first gingerbread house the first Christmas my husband and I were dating. Needless to say I am the worst gingerbread house architect ever.

• corrinacs
    December 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Oh wow, I forgot making our own!  Thanks for the lovely idea :) :).  We are going to do it this way this year :) :).

• BabyLucasMom
    December 11, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Never done this. I think my son would love it!

• marisab
    by marisab
    December 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

i remeber doing quite a few as kids and was thinkinga bout making ones this year so thanks  for the instructions

• eirejade
    December 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM
    We've already done our gingerbread house this year :)
  • othermom
    December 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

We will have to get the stuff for this. I haven't made one in years

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN