Toddlers & Preschoolers

Jwelder
Bedwetting
by Jwelder
December 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

My 3 year old daughter is completely fine going to the potty during the day, but at night she pees the bed every time. We have even tried limiting her drinks before bedtime. Right now we have resorted to wearing pullups on her at night because she doesn't wake up after she does it either and we don't want her laying in her pee! Her matteress has a plastic cover on it, so I don't worry about that as much. Someone told me that wearing the pullups on her is encouraging it and as long as she is not making a big mess and making herself completely uncomfortable she will do it for as long as she can get away with it. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and I really don't see letting her sleep in her wet bed!

Who has dealt with this, and how did you deal with it?

Replies

• ccnstanczak
    December 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM

id have her go potty before she goes to sleep, at first just have her go sit. and then a while after that on my way to bed, id get her up and take her to the potty. shes half asleep but shell go and then id put her back in bed. she would stay dry for the rest of the night. eventually she just grew out of it as she got bigger.

does this happen the same time everynight or does she wake up wet? does she wake up and come wake you up? if so maybe wake up in the middle of the night and go take her to the potty.

pita but its the only thing i can think of. shes 3, shes still learning bladder control.

every child is different. my oldest would wet the bed and sometimes still does. my 3 year old just put panties on one day and that was it. no more diapers and she has not wet the bed. she has accidents  a few times but not much.

• Proud-mama-05
    December 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I think 3 isn't the age that should be concerned about bed wetting. My kids (so far-3 out of 4 are potty trained) only do it when they were first learning and then if we gave them to much to drink before bed or if they're sick but every child is different. I wouldn't worry about it at 3 and wearing a pull up only at bed time isn't going to hurt anything. A pull up isn't going to magically somehow affect their ability to recognise that they need to pee and wake up to go during the night. Keep doing what you feel is right for your daughter she will get it soon but right now I wouldn't worry about it to much

• mmtosam06
    December 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM

My dd is 6 and occasionally has an accident (blue moon) but when she was 3/4 it was continual or at least every other night  if not nightly. I didnb't get mad at her or spank her for it because I used to be spanked out of anger for it. 

• Traci_Momof2
    December 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM

At her age it's still pretty normal.  Some kids just take more time to grow out of that stage.  When they are awake, they are immediately aware of their bodily functions, but when they are asleep they are not.  Some kids bodies just have a more difficult time waking out of a sleep in time to get up and use the potty.

One thing I've heard that works well for some kids (and sorry if this has been mentioned, I haven't read the replies) is a method of training her body to wake up at a certain time.  You put her to bed like normal (having her use the potty right before bedtime).  Then 2 hours after you put her to bed, go in and get her up and bring her to the potty to use it.  Have her use it (at least try) then take her back to bed.  Do this at the same time interval every night.  Eventually her sleep pattern will adjust so that she wakes on her own at that same time.  Then it will allow her to get up and use the potty on her own.  Two hours is just an approximation.  You may need to adjust that earlier if she's already wet after 2 hours or later if she doesn't pee much after 2 hours.  I just think 2 hours is a good starting point.  I haven't used this method myself yet (need to with my youngest) but I have heard of other parents having success with it.  It's at least worth a try.

I'll just let you know too, some kids end up requiring a medication for bedwetting called Desmopressin.  Keep the name for future reference.  You're daughter is a bit young to need it right now.  I don't think that's something to really explore until you hit at least 5 years old.  I'm trying it right now with my 8 year old who still wets the bed.  I've heard of other kids in the 7-9 age range who were still bedwetters that taking the medication worked wonders.  For now it's just a piece of info to tuck into the back of your head just in case it becomes an issue down the road.

GL

• SarahsAMommy
    December 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM

My son is almost 5 and still wears pull ups at night. So does another 5 year old I know. I also know someone wet the bed till in high school. It's not something you can control. Would it be nice if you could? Yes. But I wouldn't stress over it. It could make things worse. I've heard things like you have. I've been told to put my son in a loose/baggy shirt. When he pees it will get wet and he won't like it... I haven't tried it. I don't think that's far. Not to mention, it would require more laundry and bath time!

• AFWifeNMom
    December 11, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I wet the bed until i was an adult. They make a special medication for it. You have nothing to worry about until your DD is much older. Most Dr's wont even consider it a "problem" until the child is over age 5.

• mickstinator
    December 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Totally normal. She'll grow out of it. Some kids just have a harder time learning how to control their bladder while they sleep. It's REALLY common, but not necessarily well known. 

• LowryCuisine
    December 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Wish it would hurry up in my kids. All 3 of them still wet the bed off and on.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Whoever told you that is very uninformed.  You cannot night train a child.  Staying dry at night happens when the brain has developed enough to release a hormone that slows urine production while sleeping.  You cannot train this.  It happens when it happens.  Continue with the pull-ups until you see she's waking up dry consistently for a few weeks to a month and then try underwear.  Since you have the plastic cover you don't have to worry about your mattress.  My son was able to stay dry by his 4th birthday.  My DD is almost 3 1/2 and is pretty hit or miss at night.  I expect she'll need help for at least another 6 months, maybe more.  Such is life.  I don't put energy into things I can't control :)

Your daughter will get there when her body is ready.

• bramamber
    December 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM
    My son is 10 and still wets the bed every night. We finally got a prescription this week to try for him. We started it but no change yet.
  • Jynnifer292
    December 11, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I don't understand people with the attitude that a child in deep sleep that wets the bed is doing it on purpose and needs to be made uncomfortable for it. I know a child that still does it in her teens. It was horribly embarrassing for her. Come to find out, she actually had a medical condition that was causing her to not sense when she needed to go as she slept. She sets her alarm clock to go off in the middle of the night so she can go. I would put her in the pull ups for now. If she is doing well during the day, she is likely not doing it on purpose. Aside from that, I am pretty sure a pull up is not as comfortable as underwear and she would rather be in underwear if she could stop wetting.

If she doesn't stop, look into other reasons that it may be happening. She is still little.

Toddlers & Preschoolers