Toddlers & Preschoolers

Jwelder
Bedwetting
by Jwelder
December 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

My 3 year old daughter is completely fine going to the potty during the day, but at night she pees the bed every time. We have even tried limiting her drinks before bedtime. Right now we have resorted to wearing pullups on her at night because she doesn't wake up after she does it either and we don't want her laying in her pee! Her matteress has a plastic cover on it, so I don't worry about that as much. Someone told me that wearing the pullups on her is encouraging it and as long as she is not making a big mess and making herself completely uncomfortable she will do it for as long as she can get away with it. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and I really don't see letting her sleep in her wet bed!

Who has dealt with this, and how did you deal with it?

Replies

• JasonsMom2007
    December 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM

My 5 1/2 year old is still a heavy nighttime wetter.  His urologist says they don't even start to consider anything about nighttime wetting until kids are 8.  It's just considered normal until then.  

• heartslove09
    December 11, 2012 at 1:36 AM
    My kid is 3 and i dont remember the last time she had an accident. Dont worry they get it eventually :-)
  • Salsacookies
    December 11, 2012 at 5:08 AM

It's something she will have to develop. You can't teach night time training. My 3 year old wears pull-ups for naps and bedtime too. It's normal. She will develop the ability to hold it overnight with time. You're just going to have to deal with it for now. My sister wore pullups to bed until she was like 6. She just had to outgrow it.

• popomill
    December 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM

My son wet the bed until a few months ago. I kept his plastic sheet on just to be safe, He's almost 5. I never had him wear the pull ups because they didn't work for us, so he would just wear a night time diaper or a regular on. We would cut out all drinks about an hour before bed, that was the only way, because if he is drinking until he falls asleep he WILL wake up, now we have to problem. HOWEVER, my sister wet the bed until she was probably a teenager, she had severe bladder problems, like UTIs and infections all the time, which caused her to wet the bed. As long as she is ok during the day, no burning while peeing and such, she probably doesn't have any. Aside from that, I'm not sure what else you can do, I did hear that night time potty training is a lot harder than day time (and it was for my son)

• AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    December 11, 2012 at 6:29 AM
    My 5 yr old still wets the bed nightly. It's something they have to grow out of.
  • lovelychaos13
    December 11, 2012 at 6:44 AM

this!       also seeing as she doesnt even wake up after peeing the bed track about the time she pees it every night give her a litle alarm to wake her up 15-30 mins before   so she can wake up and go to the potty and get back to sleep. if shes a super hard sleeper ya may have to get her up yourself. wetting the bed at 3 id say is pretty normal my oldest last did it  a few months ago but she would wake up and be upset about it. shes 7 now so it was when she was still six she last had an accident.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Whoever told you that is very uninformed.  You cannot night train a child.  Staying dry at night happens when the brain has developed enough to release a hormone that slows urine production while sleeping.  You cannot train this.  It happens when it happens.  Continue with the pull-ups until you see she's waking up dry consistently for a few weeks to a month and then try underwear.  Since you have the plastic cover you don't have to worry about your mattress.  My son was able to stay dry by his 4th birthday.  My DD is almost 3 1/2 and is pretty hit or miss at night.  I expect she'll need help for at least another 6 months, maybe more.  Such is life.  I don't put energy into things I can't control :)

Your daughter will get there when her body is ready.

• Jenner8
    by Jenner8
    December 11, 2012 at 6:59 AM

My LO was day trained for about 9 months or more before we could get rid of the nighttime pull-ups... we waited until she was consistently dry in the pull-ups before we were able to skip them.

• icn_mom
    by icn_mom
    December 11, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Pulls ups seems like a much better alternative to me than allowing your child to sleep in a soiled bed!! how much later do you go to bed than her? I would get her up before I went to be bed to have her use the bathroom if you really dont want to put her in pull ups.

• munchkin79
    December 11, 2012 at 7:47 AM

My oldest wet the bed until about 6yrs old. She wore pull ups every night. My middle dd stopped wetting the bed around 3yrs old. She was potty trained around 2 1/2. My son just turned 2 in Oct and won't  use the potty for nothing so we will see with him!

• djscinnabun
    December 11, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Try the little blue disposable plastic absorbent hospital type sheets maybe? They run $10 average at the pharmacy for a pack of like 30. The cool wet sensation may be enough to wake her up, this is what eventually did the trick with my daughter. The other thing we did is wake her up every couple hours until we went to bed, to have her get up and at least try to go. Ive heard some people use a mat that sets off an alarm to wake them up if it senses a little moisture like she just started to wet - it supposedly "trains" a child to recognize the sensation of needing to go before being woken by a harsh alarm sound. I preferred to avoid this option for allowing more natural sleep patterns to develop for my daughter.

If she gets to be four or five and this continues, talk to the pediatrician. I had a kidney condition that was overlooked for years, they'd just figured I was a bed- wetter as a result of multiple infections etc. and for some reason slept too deeply etc. turned out the infections were the result of I actually had Kidney Reflux Disorder and needed reconstructive surgery at eight years old! After that, as embarrassing as it was for a school aged child, my kidneys and bladder had to be trained to preform normally, like a much younger child... At her age, I wouldn't jump to the assumption of KRD, but if you don't see improvement within a year or two, its worth asking the pediatrician to run an ultrasound and/or VCUG testing. 

Toddlers & Preschoolers