Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Jwelder
Bedwetting
by Jwelder
December 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

My 3 year old daughter is completely fine going to the potty during the day, but at night she pees the bed every time. We have even tried limiting her drinks before bedtime. Right now we have resorted to wearing pullups on her at night because she doesn't wake up after she does it either and we don't want her laying in her pee! Her matteress has a plastic cover on it, so I don't worry about that as much. Someone told me that wearing the pullups on her is encouraging it and as long as she is not making a big mess and making herself completely uncomfortable she will do it for as long as she can get away with it. That sounds a bit harsh to me, and I really don't see letting her sleep in her wet bed!

Who has dealt with this, and how did you deal with it?

Replies

• Bek22
    by Bek22
    December 12, 2012 at 8:33 AM

We had the same issue with our 3rd child around the same age. One thing I noticed was that she would cry in bed most nights while she was still asleep. She would wet almost immediately after she started crying. Long story short, every time I heard that first cry, I would run her to the bathroom and it never failed, she'd pee. I did this for a while until she learned to wake herself up.I loved pull-ups and will use them again with number 4. I personally don't think they interfere with potty training at all. Atleast they didn't with my kids. She'll get it down, I promise. All kids are different and what yours is experiencing is completely normal.

• angel_eyez
    December 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM
    Your baby is only 3. Keep using the pullups until needed. No need to rush. Especially since she's doing good during the day.
  • Luvmy2babies22
    December 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I found this on the AAP website and thought it was interesting.  I didn't know this.

Do you recommend restricting fluids in the evening to keep children dry?
    Some people think restricting fluids after dinner helps children stay dry. Although this helps some children, it doesn’t work for most — if a child limits fluids, he may wet the bed with four ounces of urine instead of six, but he’s usually still wet. My approach to restricting fluids is practical. If a child tells me that limiting fluids helps him stay dry, I give it my “OK.” Otherwise, I generally don’t recommend this approach.

This was from the Dr. Sears website:

DON'T RESTRICT FLUIDS In my experience, withholding liquids is not helpful and may be harmful. Children need to drink a lot for proper bodily function, especially during hot months. Restricting fluids may cause dehydration and constipation, which can aggravate bedwetting.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts