Toddlers & Preschoolers

angelmj
Spare the rod, spoil the child.
by angelmj
December 7, 2012 at 5:07 PM

How do you feel about spanking your child, should parents do it. What do you consider going over board? And what would be a reason to actually spank the child?

I for one think sometimes a spanking is in order, but only a swat on the butt at most. I mostly just do time outs but some people think I should spank more often.  

Replies

• HetherElizabeth
    December 7, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    I'm the same as you I mostly do timeouts but you best believe if ds needs a spanking he will get one. Usually timeouts work though.
  • debramommyof4
    December 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

We spank but I do time outs first.  They get a warning, then a time out and then a spanking if they keep it up.  We spank the first time for anything dangerous like running into the street. 

• kayleesmom42328
    December 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM
    We do time outs most of the time. But we do spank when dd needs it. If we are angry we give ourselves time to calm down before disciplining her.
  • Lucky2BaMomof2
    December 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    I spank when necessary...

But I despise that phrase! My parents used to sat it right before and as they beat the crap out of me... Extension cords, wire hangers, shoes, cutting board, wrenches... That phrase gets my blood boiling... Sorry, had to get that out there..

My grandma spanked me when I needed it... There is a huge difference... So I spank when it's needed.
  • MommyRJ
    by MommyRJ
    December 7, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    Same here

Quoting debramommyof4:

We spank but I do time outs first.  They get a warning, then a time out and then a spanking if they keep it up.  We spank the first time for anything dangerous like running into the street. 

• Luvmy2babies22
    December 7, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I think spanking is 100% unnecessary.  I think there is ALWAYS another way to teach your children right from wrong in a compassionate and constructive way.  Regardless of the level of danger they were in, I still just believe those situations deserve a conversation for a child who is older and if the child was too young for a conversation then you need to keep a closer eye on your kid.  My son ran out into a parking lot once because the walkway sort of melted into the sidewalk and he didn't have a clear boundary.  It was as much my fault for not holding on to him so how could I spank for that?  It was an accident so if he needed a spanking for that then so did I...

• emkirkley
    December 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

blatent defiance is met with a spanking here. as is blatent disrespect in our older child.

• LntLckrsCmQut
    December 7, 2012 at 9:56 PM

We have a no hitting rule in my house.

• Paperfishies
    December 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM
    I believe spanking is abuse. We do not abuse our children.
  • ragitty
    by ragitty
    December 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I don't spank my son but I am not against spanking. Anything beyond a swat with a hand is too much, imo. I chose not to spank because I know ds would percieve it as hitting, so I am afraid he would think it meant it was ok to hit people if you don't like what they are doing. Like I said, though, I have no problem with spanking in general--my parents spanked us.

Toddlers & Preschoolers