Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
mmccrea
Thinking of Leashing My 18 Month Old...
by mmccrea
December 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Whenever we go to, really anywhere, he just wants to walk on his own.  He hates being in the stroller, and hates being held when there are so many things to see.  When we try to hold him so he stays by us, he throws a temper tantrum, and we have to leave.  He doesn't stay right by us though, when we let him down.  And, he RUNS!  Are leashes a bad idea???  I feel like a bad mom...but I want him to enjoy our trips, and I want to enjoy them too.  

Replies

• Rhiannon1980
    December 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM
    I have one for my 2 year old and they work great. Lets him feel free and me still keep control and him safe.
  • FarmGirl2B
    December 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM
    I had to use one when my oldest was 2 and I had an infant seat to carry. The little monkey would run wide open, and you couldn't catch him bless you were also running wide open and had empty arms. People will judge you, but you are doing what is going to keep him safe. If something ever happened to him you will blame yourself for the rest of your life. They aren't the ones that would have to live with it. Target has some really cute harnesses.
  • Tree-Tree
    December 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I see nothing wrong with them. will he let you back pack him???

• Necie72
    by Necie72
    December 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I don't see anything wrong with them...  We have one, but haven't actually used it...  When DD saw it, she wanted me to put it on her while we were in the house...  I'd definitely use it if she was throwing fits...  She's getting too big for shopping carts and always wants to walk, so even at the age of 4 we might be using it...

• corrinacs
    December 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I had to leash my child. By that time he was a better listener, but he was running around like that at 9 months!  I didn't feel bad having him on a leash.  I got one of those leashes that resembles a doggie backpack.  He loved that thing LOL.  He would grab it and know he was going on a walk LOL.  Sounds bad, I know.......but we lived in the city and him darting off meant getting hit by a car :/.

• babowes
    by babowes
    December 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM
    You have to do what you have to do
  • twicethemomjess
    December 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM
    i dont like them but hey..if you need one to keep your kid safe. i made my kid listen and behave at that age.
  • mariesmama
    December 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

we have one but she runs to the end of the leash then falls down as i try to keep up

• KeheleyLayna
    December 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Originally when I first seen a mom with a leash, I said I would never do that to my child... but when you think about it, they're not that bad.

You all want to enjoy your trips, even to the grocery store.. I would do it. If he fights you on every other option.. I would.

• jlbelknap35
    December 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM
    I am not a Fan but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. My way to get my Ds to listen at that age was you either hold my hand or are in the stroller. If he threw himself down and threw a tantrum we would stand there, ignore him, and with in a min or 2 he realized he wasn't getting the attention he was getting and stop. Everyone is different though and has to figure out the nitch that works for there kid. I don't bash or judge cause you never know the full story.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN