Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Ammie25
Preschool for under 3?
by Ammie25
December 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM

My 29 mo old daughter has been whining that she wants to go to school with her brother. She also hasn't been too happy to come home from outings. She needs more stimulation!

I just started doing research for a part-time program. I would love to send her off to a fun program, but everything is preschool/daycare based. I am a SAHM and not working, so the cost of these things is a lil much.

There are plenty of playgroups nearby. Enough to go to a different one everday of the week. But only 2 local on Monday & Tuesday. If I bring her to any more, I feel like it might be a bit much for her considering it wouold be 3 different playgroups 3 days a week. And not just her, but I would be prone to confusion myself!

The library & nearby Barnes & Noble aren't having any type of storytimes right now. The library is walking distance and the kids do enjoy it, but it's short lived with a 2 year old and a 9 year old with Special Needs. Outdoor time is getting sparse as the cold weather kicks in.

Please send some suggestions my way as far as what I might look into in our local community & what I can do to make life at home all day with a 2.5 year old more interesting. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    December 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

when DS1 was around 2 we were told about a church who did playschool, and then you go up through the years so he in the same church but now he's in preschool, then pre-k, then K... it costs us $155 a month for 4 hours, 2 days a week and he loved it. I am a SAHM mom as well, and our income is limited in what we can do but it would cost triple that for daycare same amount of time.

• Ammie25
    by Ammie25
    December 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Quoting Larsbug:

when DS1 was around 2 we were told about a church who did playschool, and then you go up through the years so he in the same church but now he's in preschool, then pre-k, then K... it costs us $155 a month for 4 hours, 2 days a week and he loved it. I am a SAHM mom as well, and our income is limited in what we can do but it would cost triple that for daycare same amount of time.

Thanks! I will have to look into that! :)

• ZakkarysMom
    December 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    My son started early childhood at 2.5. He is special needs. Its a public school so its free.
  • Ammie25
    by Ammie25
    December 5, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

My son started early childhood at 2.5. He is special needs. Its a public school so its free.

I apologize if I was misunderstood. I thought that the wording may throw people off, but just let it go. My 9 year old is Special Needs. My 29 mo old, however, is of typical development. No issues. :)

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    December 6, 2012 at 5:39 AM

I have had my kids in a preschool since they were little. The daycare I use does pre-school starting at age 2. I use a private daycare. Look around and make sure you check references.

• Ammie25
    by Ammie25
    December 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Quoting bhwrn1:

I have had my kids in a preschool since they were little. The daycare I use does pre-school starting at age 2. I use a private daycare. Look around and make sure you check references.

I found a daycare that offers part time hours as well as 2 hrs of morning preschool for something so affordable, I am afraid it's too good to be true! Lookin' into it this morning. :)

• corrinacs
    December 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Do you have any friends nearby that have children your age?  Perhaps you guys could do an alternating "you get the kids today for a few hours".  each of you can think of lesson plans for your "days".  And at least you may get a few hours to do some work.  I don't know, just something I thought about....may or may not be a good idea LOL

• 2-point-doe
    December 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Also check with your local parks and rec department if you have one and the local YMCA for any mom and me classes. When dd was that age she was doing soccer tots, kinder music and mom and me art classes. We also have a jump and bounce place with the air filled jump castles and a trampoline place.

• babowes
    by babowes
    December 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    I think if you need it there is no harm!
  • babowes
    by babowes
    December 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM
    This is a great idea. We did this bf we called it trade day. There were no rules for lesson plans though.

Quoting corrinacs:

Do you have any friends nearby that have children your age?  Perhaps you guys could do an alternating "you get the kids today for a few hours".  each of you can think of lesson plans for your "days".  And at least you may get a few hours to do some work.  I don't know, just something I thought about....may or may not be a good idea LOL

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts