Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
LiLsMaMa21
Booster Seat ...update...
December 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM

My dd is four years old and 33lbs. That's like the 5th percentile for her age. She is in the 90th for her height though. She knows how to get in and out of her carseat by herself so I am thinking it's almost time for a booster seat. What do you ladies think?

Ok this post was not meant to cause drama. STOP IT!! What people do with their own children is no one else's business! I asked for advice and I got the answers I was looking for so thank you all and I really appreciate it. We will not be transitioning her for at LEAST another year. So there is no need to talk shit on each other anymore. 

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Replies

• 2under5.mom
    December 5, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Yea but its better to be safe then sorry ;)

Quoting LACHESIS:

I may just go check it out :) But they have never taken off their seatbelt while the car was in drive/moving.

Quoting 2under5.mom:

i got it at babies r us for like 20 bucks!

Quoting LACHESIS:

Where did you find the lock and how much?

I do not mind, as they do not take them off until the car/van is turned off. Although... we pulled into the carport today and I still had the engine on, but car in park and I heard "click, click". Neither has ever (in 2 years at least) taken their belts off. :/ I use "that guy was pulled over for drinking, smoking, not wearing a seatbelt, hanging out the window...." rofl....
    My 4 year old daughter won't even take hers off while waiting for her brother at school... even if the car is off. I have tried to get her to sit up front with me (sometimes we are really early). But nope.

Quoting 2under5.mom:

have you thought about getting the safety locks for the carseat? It goes over part that goes over there chest and one goes over the one inbetween there legs...my daughter figured out how to get out of hers too and i went right away to buy the lock!

Quoting LACHESIS:

My kids can unlock their 5pt harness car seats too, but I am not going to move them out yet. They both know not to take them off until the van is turned off. I have a 5yr old and a soon to be 5yr old.

• SarahSuzyQ
    December 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM
    I think it's 40 lbs, but you also want to be sure you're within the height limit on the seat.

My son has been in a booster since age 4, 43 lbs and 40 inches... Ish. It's been almost a year! One thing that we needed to be comfortable with was his ability to ride safely and to not unbuckle at inappropriate times. He has been fine with that, and so have we.

As long as it's legal and safe, I think each family has to make the decision that works best for them.
  • Tree-Tree
    December 5, 2012 at 5:01 PM
    Those can't possibly be safe as the chest clip is a positioning tool and meant to come apart in the event of an accident. If it didn't a child can get seriously hurt.

Quoting 2under5.mom:

Yea but its better to be safe then sorry ;)

Quoting LACHESIS:

I may just go check it out :) But they have never taken off their seatbelt while the car was in drive/moving.

Quoting 2under5.mom:

i got it at babies r us for like 20 bucks!

Quoting LACHESIS:

Where did you find the lock and how much?

I do not mind, as they do not take them off until the car/van is turned off. Although... we pulled into the carport today and I still had the engine on, but car in park and I heard "click, click". Neither has ever (in 2 years at least) taken their belts off. :/ I use "that guy was pulled over for drinking, smoking, not wearing a seatbelt, hanging out the window...." rofl....
    My 4 year old daughter won't even take hers off while waiting for her brother at school... even if the car is off. I have tried to get her to sit up front with me (sometimes we are really early). But nope.

Quoting 2under5.mom:

have you thought about getting the safety locks for the carseat? It goes over part that goes over there chest and one goes over the one inbetween there legs...my daughter figured out how to get out of hers too and i went right away to buy the lock!

Quoting LACHESIS:

My kids can unlock their 5pt harness car seats too, but I am not going to move them out yet. They both know not to take them off until the van is turned off. I have a 5yr old and a soon to be 5yr old.

• SarahSuzyQ
    December 5, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    What is the 5 step test?

Quoting emkirkley:

submarining is sliding under the lap portion of the seatbelt because it cannot be held tightly enough down on the thighs for proper protection.  It's part of why booster seats are so important to start with.  If a child slides down and under a portion of the seatbelt it opens them up to internal damages, broken ribs and strangulation by the seat belt.  Children under 40lbs even in a booster are at a very big risk of this happening.  This is also why children should pass the 5-step test to be able to sit without a booster, whether they reach the minimum the law states or not. My very big for her age 11 year old has only been out of a booster for a year because she didn't meet all the requirements of the 5-step test.

Quoting stephjohn:

What's that?

Quoting emkirkley:

that's fine and dandy, but a 30lb child (i.e. the OPs child) is NOT safe in a booster because of submarining, whether the booster states the minimum is 30lbs or not.

Quoting stephjohn:

my child weighs 60 lbs and is 7.

Quoting babyspots17:

Hbb use should be based on age, weight, and maturity not just one factor. You should look up submarining 30 lbs is more likely to have this happen.

Quoting stephjohn:

i do a high back booster. they start at 30lbs. others start at 40 lbs.

• emkirkley
    December 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM

http://carseat.org/Boosters/630.pdf

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

What is the 5 step test?

Quoting emkirkley:

submarining is sliding under the lap portion of the seatbelt because it cannot be held tightly enough down on the thighs for proper protection.  It's part of why booster seats are so important to start with.  If a child slides down and under a portion of the seatbelt it opens them up to internal damages, broken ribs and strangulation by the seat belt.  Children under 40lbs even in a booster are at a very big risk of this happening.  This is also why children should pass the 5-step test to be able to sit without a booster, whether they reach the minimum the law states or not. My very big for her age 11 year old has only been out of a booster for a year because she didn't meet all the requirements of the 5-step test.

Quoting stephjohn:

What's that?

Quoting emkirkley:

that's fine and dandy, but a 30lb child (i.e. the OPs child) is NOT safe in a booster because of submarining, whether the booster states the minimum is 30lbs or not.

Quoting stephjohn:

Quoting babyspots17:

Hbb use should be based on age, weight, and maturity not just one factor. You should look up submarining 30 lbs is more likely to have this happen.

Quoting stephjohn:

• SarahSuzyQ
    December 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM
    TFS. I already knew that my son is several years away from riding without a seat, but this was a new term for me. He's only (almost) 5... I'm sure we'll learn many more things about car seat safety before he's that size/age/maturity. ;-)

Quoting emkirkley:

http://carseat.org/Boosters/630.pdf

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

What is the 5 step test?

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting stephjohn:

What's that?

Quoting emkirkley:

Quoting stephjohn:

Quoting babyspots17:

Quoting stephjohn:

• sweetmissy_05
    December 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM

My girls are 4 and 3 and they are 30 and 35 lbs but they will be in a 5 point harness for as long as possible..they make nice 5 point harness carseats nowadays that go up to 65 lbs so that's what we're going to do..it's much safer.

• Kris_PBG
    December 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM

No way.

A child needs to be at least 40 lbs to reduce the chances of submarining in an accident.  (Submarining is when they slide down and out from underneath the seat belt in an accident".

Your little one needs to gain at least 7 lbs.  Age 4 is the BARE minimum age as well - closer to age 6 is actually the recommended time to switch to a booster.

• bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    December 6, 2012 at 5:38 AM

5 point harness is safest and in my state they have to be at least 40lbs to be in a booster. Harness her for as long as possible. I just took my 6 year old (58lbs) out of his 5 point b/c he outgrew the torso length of the seat.

• danielita77
    December 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM
    They should also be in the center of the back seat. I see way too many small children improperly restrained. Can you believe some people still ride with children on their laps where I live?!

Quoting Gweneveer:

I'm pretty sure you need to be 40 lbs for a booster seat, regardless of height. I would definitely keep her in a 5 pt harness. There are car seats out there that harness to 60 lbs. My almost 6 yr old is 90th percentile for both height and weight and is still harnessed. Safety should come first!!!

This post is locked, so you can't reply.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts