Toddlers & Preschoolers

LiLsMaMa21
Booster Seat ...update...
December 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM

My dd is four years old and 33lbs. That's like the 5th percentile for her age. She is in the 90th for her height though. She knows how to get in and out of her carseat by herself so I am thinking it's almost time for a booster seat. What do you ladies think?

Ok this post was not meant to cause drama. STOP IT!! What people do with their own children is no one else's business! I asked for advice and I got the answers I was looking for so thank you all and I really appreciate it. We will not be transitioning her for at LEAST another year. So there is no need to talk shit on each other anymore. 

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Replies

• Gweneveer
    December 4, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    I'm pretty sure you need to be 40 lbs for a booster seat, regardless of height. I would definitely keep her in a 5 pt harness. There are car seats out there that harness to 60 lbs. My almost 6 yr old is 90th percentile for both height and weight and is still harnessed. Safety should come first!!!
  • mommaFruFru
    December 4, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    I personally would keep her harnessed. Depending on your laws and booster seat it could be legal to booster her.

What seat is she currently ib?
  • StrawberryCool
    December 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM
    My dd is 4 and about 50.

Shes in a booster seat...I had to clean the car seat and I couldnt put it back together.

The only think I dont like is when she falls asleep she leans too far.
  • robbinsroost
    December 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I would keep her harnessed. Most kids are not booster ready until closer to 6 years old. My oldest moved to a booster at 7 1/2. My 5 and 6 year olds are still harnessed.

• babowes
    by babowes
    December 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    Nope stay in the 5 point until 40 atleast. Mine is close to 50 and we still have a five point.
  • notjstanothrmom
    December 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Not fot my kids. You have to be 4 and 40 for a booster I believe and that is bare minimum. My oldest turns 6 in February and is still in a 5 pt. harness and will be until he ourgrow his seat. It's much safer to be in a 5 pt. harness.

• piwife
    by piwife
    December 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM
    Not, my daughter is almost 6 and she just now in a hbb( only in dad's car) in my car she is in a 5 pt harness. Your child has to 40 lbs and also be able to pass the 5 step test
  • Luvmy2babies22
    December 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I think our law is 4 and 40lbs (or at least that's the manufacturer stamp).  Switching to a booster is about maturity too NOT just size.  Most 4 year olds will not sit properly in a booster.  If she's getting out of her 5 point when she's not supposed to then there need to be consequences for that.  If she's too big for her current seat then there are plenty of seats out there that will fit her for at least another year or 2.  My son will be 6 next week and is still very comfortable in his 5 point.  He also has a booster in my husband's car but it took a ton of reminding for him to sit properly at first.  He was almost 5 1/2 when we bought the booster.

• ardiaxe
    by ardiaxe
    December 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    My son is 4 and 35lbs, he's not moving into a booster until he is at least 40lbs, and after I've done my research on what's safest. It's safety and not convenience that matters most.
  • LiLsMaMa21
    December 4, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I was thinking the same thing. My husband and I were thinking we were going to wait until she was 5 or 6. Our neighbor has been pushing the issue because she wants to take her out and she's worried about what a car seat will do to her car...yeah I know. Lol. So I just texted her and told her not to get the booster seat. She's probably going to get a little upset... I hope not but I'm not budging. 

This post is locked, so you can't reply.

Toddlers & Preschoolers