Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
LiLsMaMa21
Booster Seat ...update...
December 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM

My dd is four years old and 33lbs. That's like the 5th percentile for her age. She is in the 90th for her height though. She knows how to get in and out of her carseat by herself so I am thinking it's almost time for a booster seat. What do you ladies think?

Ok this post was not meant to cause drama. STOP IT!! What people do with their own children is no one else's business! I asked for advice and I got the answers I was looking for so thank you all and I really appreciate it. We will not be transitioning her for at LEAST another year. So there is no need to talk shit on each other anymore. 

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Replies

• erinsmom1964
    December 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM

I KNOW that every step up in car seats is a step down in safety.  Your child doesn't meet the MINIMUM requirements for a booster.  My DD is truly over 90% for height and only about 30% for weight and she will harness until she no longer fits.  I bought her the longest harnessing seat made just for this reason and the fact that when booster time comes she has what has been a top rated booster for 3 yrs in a row now.  

• LiLsMaMa21
    December 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Quoting michellej428:

She has to be 40lbs and changing her carseat has nothing to with if she is ready because she can get in and out of her carseat. Ds is 5 and well over 40lbs and still in a harness, that is where he will remain until he is too big. It's about what is safest for their little bodies and that is being harnessed. Come on mom, do your homework!!!

I did a little more research after posting this but I wanted to see what real people are doing because a lot of the studies say she's ready for a booster...so I have been doing my homework thank you. 

• emkirkley
    December 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

4years AND 40lbs bare minimum, even a booster seat on a really thin child will NOT properly position a seat belt, and I have yet to meet a 4 year old who was mature enough to stay seated properly, no leaning, no fiddling with the belt, no falling asleep for the entire trip on every trip they take.  maybe at 5.5-6, but not now.  There are plenty of seats to keep her harnessed and safe at her age and size.

• stephjohn
    December 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM
    i do a high back booster. they start at 30lbs. others start at 40 lbs.
  • Jnc91
    by Jnc91
    December 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM

she is at a very high risk of submarining due to her weight. also, most 4 yr olds are no where near mature enough be stay 100% still in the car. If she drops a toy would she bend over to pick it up? most likely yes and that is dangerous. my son is 4, 40 lbs and 43". he is still harnessed and will be until he is mature enough. at age 5 many are mature enough and at age 6 most are mature enough. 

• emkirkley
    December 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/booster_seats/booster_seats.html

Also, I agree...Our state says LEGALLY they must be BOTH 4 AND 40lbs to sit in a booster and BOTH 6 AND 60lbs to ride without a seat at all...those are bare minimums.  Kids aren't safe in boosters until they can sit still, and the booster do it's job, which is not until they are old enough and heavy enough...a car's seat belt alone is the same way, they'll need to pass the 5-step test to ride without a booster.

• babyspots17
    December 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    Hbb use should be based on age, weight, and maturity not just one factor. You should look up submarining 30 lbs is more likely to have this happen.

Quoting stephjohn:

• stephjohn
    December 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    my child weighs 60 lbs and is 7.

Quoting babyspots17:

Hbb use should be based on age, weight, and maturity not just one factor. You should look up submarining 30 lbs is more likely to have this happen.

Quoting stephjohn:

• emkirkley
    December 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM

that's fine and dandy, but a 30lb child (i.e. the OPs child) is NOT safe in a booster because of submarining, whether the booster states the minimum is 30lbs or not.

Quoting stephjohn:

my child weighs 60 lbs and is 7.

Quoting babyspots17:

Quoting stephjohn:

• emkirkley
    December 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=38893

an exert:

1. Does your child meet the weight, height and age requirements?
    2. Can your child remain properly positioned for the entire length of every ride, never leaning out of position?
    3. Will your child leave the seatbelt properly positioned flat across the collar bone and hips/thighs?

Crash test comparisons:
    Frontal impact = Harnessed vs. Booster
    Side impact = Harnessed vs. Booster
    • Advantages to Extended Harnessing include:
      • Limits head excursion (forward movement) during a crash, thus reducing the risk of brain + spine injury
      • Spreads crash forces out over a broader area of the body at all of its strongest points
      • Keeps kids properly positioned much more reliably
      • Helps prevent backseat bickering between siblings (thus reducing driver distraction)

Although some manufacturers may state that any child over a mere 12 months and 30 pounds may use a booster, this does NOT meet safest practice according to crash data research! Toddlers should never ride in a booster. Cognitive ability associated with the necessary attention span to use a booster correctly does not even begin to develop until at least 4 years old. Prematurely "graduating" a child to a booster before the minimum recommendation of 4 years and (not or) 40 pounds puts the child at increased risk of injury from "submarining" and also puts the driver at risk of distraction, increasing the risk of crashing.

Use of 4 or 5 point harnesses have been a standard safety measure for grown adults in the racing industry, for pilots, astronauts, etc. If a child still fits a harness seat according to the limits listed in the manual, then that child should not yet switch to a booster. A booster is only safer than a harness if the harness cannot be used correctly and then only if the booster will be used correctly.

This post is locked, so you can't reply.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts