Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
happylife123
Need advice!!!!
November 27, 2012 at 4:47 PM

My little princess is almost 4 1/2 yrs old and still will not use the potty. i have tried everything from the reward system to making her clean herself (with supervisor of course) Just about everything. She still would just rather pee/poo in her pants. she does good for a day but than it starts back all over. i even tried to elimate pull ups and had her wear undies thinking that feeling the wetness would help but she is just sooo stubborn. Any advice!!

She had a rough start into this world umbilical cord around her neck. at about 6 months old had a 105 fever and at almost 3 she got a severe concussion.

Replies

• 2under5.mom
    November 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Wow.My daughter did it herself at 2yrs old..she pulled off her pamper and never looked back!  i Cant imagine my baby being 4 nd not potty trained. Does she have any sibling/cousins around her age that are potty trained? If so maybe spending time with them would do her some good..just like when kids start walking, when they see the other kids doing it they want to do it as well!!

• happylife123
    November 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM

she has a older brother and alots of cousins and my little sister who is 4 as well that r all potty trained

• LilyBeansMom
    November 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    At that same age my oldest was finally peeing on the potty but not pooping. Preschool did it for her.
  • Luvmy2babies22
    November 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

At 4 1/2, unless she has some learning disabilities, she should be trained.  You HAVE to get rid of the pull-ups (except for sleeping).  She's old enough to sit her down and explain what's about to happen.  She's a big girl, no more pull-ups during the day.  She's old enough to clean herself up, etc.  Then just ignore the whole thing.  She's a big girl and she's in charge now.  Ask her if there is something special she wants to work toward and then give her a sticker chart.  Keep it simple to start with only a few stickers to reach her first goal but then once she gets the hang of it, increase the amount of stickers and increase the size of the reward.

No matter how stubborn she is or how messy it gets DO NOT GIVE IN AND GET HER A PULL-UP. 

• .Angelica.
    November 27, 2012 at 5:13 PM

I have to agree. If she has no learning disabilities, do not put her in a pull up. it will be messy but she is plenty old enough to know better.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

At 4 1/2, unless she has some learning disabilities, she should be trained.  You HAVE to get rid of the pull-ups (except for sleeping).  She's old enough to sit her down and explain what's about to happen.  She's a big girl, no more pull-ups during the day.  She's old enough to clean herself up, etc.  Then just ignore the whole thing.  She's a big girl and she's in charge now.  Ask her if there is something special she wants to work toward and then give her a sticker chart.  Keep it simple to start with only a few stickers to reach her first goal but then once she gets the hang of it, increase the amount of stickers and increase the size of the reward.

No matter how stubborn she is or how messy it gets DO NOT GIVE IN AND GET HER A PULL-UP. 

• Mrs.Bolin
    November 27, 2012 at 8:37 PM

keep it up. Dont quit. Stay consistant. She is old enough and should be basicly trained by now. Punishment might be a start. Take a favorite toy away or if you into butt woopins or time out then go for it. I suggested to another post about hangin out in a non-carpeted room with the potty,toys and books. Dont give in or quit ever. You gotta keep it going. Goodluck. My 4 yr old wears undies to school and does great. She only wears pullups at night just incase

• Luvmy2babies22
    November 27, 2012 at 8:42 PM
    Don't punish over potty training.
  • Wendsdy
    by Wendsdy
    November 27, 2012 at 11:41 PM

I feel your pain! My Daughter is 5 and won't pee in the toilet 90% of the time.  She was born with a duplicated collecting system in one of her kidneys so they think she has a constent leak so she has to be in pull ups and also she uses them out of laziness I think. Luckily she does poop in the toilet. Wish I had some advice. Good Luck!

• mskeeinmd
    November 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I would talk to her doctor.  I can tell you that my son is 4 1/2 and just got partially potty trained last year.  I say partially because he will not do stinky in the toilet and still wets the bed at night when he sleeps.  He's fine during the day or when we go out, but we put a pull up on him at night. That is the only way he will go stinky or not wet the sheets.  He's fine during the day, but his refusal to do stinky in the toilet has us monitoring his bowel movements via a pull-up because he will go up to a week without having one.  I am not embarrased by it nor do I sweat it.  Do you take her to day care or is she at home?  We couldn't train my son, his daycare teacher promised me that she would have him potty trained by 3 1/2 and she did.  Is she around other children?  If she is, this could cause her to be embarrassed and she may try to use the toilet. Talk to her doctor.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    November 28, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Sorry I don't know.  My daughter took to it right away at 2.  Here's a bump and a good luck!

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts