Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
IQuitCounting
Long Hair On Boys
November 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Okay, so I've got a question.  For mothers with boys with long hair; why?

I ask because I have a friend who is refusing to cut her sons hair (he's a smidge over a year) and I just don't get it.  It's in his face, his eyes, tickling his ears... with a girl and long hair you put it in pony tails, or braids, or use headbands or at least give them a style that keeps it out of their eyes.  When I see boys with long a$$ hair it's almost always unruly and in the way.  So why?

{edit} and by cut I do not mean buzzed.  Buzzed cuts are not the only option for a boy.

{edit} I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I'm pulling my hair out over the topic... just so you know.

{final edit} Okay, again this is out of CURIOSITY, not because I'm hunting you down in Target and berating you in the aisles.  I'm honestly interested in reasons and understanding the why.  Any well thought out reason is good enough so long as it's not "Well, I don't care how my kid feels, I do what I want!"  My son was born with a ful head of hair, and by 7 months we decided to get his hair trimmed.

Prior to first hari cut:

And I hated every hair cut we've paid for ($30 on average) because everyone thinks that clippers are the necessary tool, which is why I cut it myself now.

I love this:

And this

And this:

And this

And this

So what I'm trying to say is that by short I do NOT mean a lack of style, or length even.  When I say long, I mean that when left to it's own devices, the kid isn't having to sweep it aside to even see out of it.

That's my attempt at giving guidelines for an otherwise vaguely defined length.  I consider my son's short in all of the images posted, even short-short in some.  But I love the slightly messy, rock star cuts the best.  I'm not a fan of buzz cuts, at all.  I love style and texture, which is why I cut both my husbands and my sons now rather than pay some chick to f it up and cut it like a "dude".  Just some perspective...

So again... looking for honest input, not upset egos!  Someone brought up religion, fantastic.  Others that their child, individually, just looks nice with longer hair, awesome.  Other's that the actual length has little to do with it, since curls keep it out of the way, logic, it's super wonderful.  Love it.  Keeep it coming.

{I would also have to say that many of the photos posted I would NOT consider long hair.  Although a few definately fit the bill, many are merely longish, long in comparison to buzzed, some curls at the base of the neck does not constitue long}

Replies

• echupko
    by echupko
    November 20, 2012 at 10:05 PM
    My boys all have different length hair. They wear what looks good on them and what works for their type of hair.
  • echupko
    by echupko
    November 20, 2012 at 10:09 PM

My middle has kind of long hair. He has a unibrow lol so we keep that hidden! He also has a small head so longer hair looks better on him.

And the baby now has hair like da1. The both have bigger heads and shorter hair looks better.

Of course they are all perfect however they wear their hair! But they are little now so it's my choice.
  • la_bella_vita
    November 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I don't like long hair on boys.

• ivy801
    by ivy801
    November 20, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Nephew is 4 and has longer, thicker hair than my dd, can't imagine him without it. He has a haircut at age 2 a dhe looked weird to me.

• meglennox
    November 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

My youngest nugget has longish hair. You really cant tell in this picture but he has some curls in back. I LOVE them. :) the other two nuggets never had curls :(
    I have no plans on cutting his hair for awhile. My hubby doesn't care either way. It doesn't bother him. If it did, i'd cut it. ;)
    By his second birthday in July, it will all be gone for the hot weather.
  • Ktina11
    by Ktina11
    November 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM
    I have 3 boys. My youngest did not get his 1st haircut until 17 months and it was way out of control. It never bothered him....it was basically a mullet...we only cut it because people kept calling him a girl.

What about little girls with the same issue? To me, hair can be a nuisance to anyone. I get bothered by mom's that don't pull back girl's hair when they are outside playing, sweating, etc (especially when it is long enough to get caught in something). But that's is my issue...my hair is pulled back 95% of the time.

We buzz all 3 boys' hair right now since we cut it ourselves. My mom tells me I keep it too short on them.
  • OliviaW.
    November 20, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I dislike long hair on boys but that's just me. As soon as my son's hair starts to bother him or he starts getting to hot I cut it. In the winter is the only time I let it grow longer than normal.

• MagickalMommy
    November 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I think long hair is cute on boys. My older boys are 9 and 5. They started growing their hair out because that was their choice.

Their bodies their hair, their choice. JMO.

They deicded to cut it and donate it to locks of love this summer. My 9 year old is growing his out again. The 5 year old hasn't decided yet. Once it gets long enough they will donate it again :)

Before (last Christmas)

Photobucket

After

Photobucket

My little is 15 months old and he doesn't have much long hair, but it is so unruly and curly, I don't know what we will do with it....

• ATG499
    by ATG499
    November 20, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    I hate long hair on boys! I always think they're girls.
  • IQuitCounting
    November 20, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Those are some pretty boys!  From what I can tell from that photo I wouldn't consider any of them to have "long" hair.  I think there's a misconcpetion with most people that "long" is anything that's not buzzed :)  Which I don't, when I mean long  I mean long like bangs to the chin long!

Quoting echupko:

My middle has kind of long hair. He has a unibrow lol so we keep that hidden! He also has a small head so longer hair looks better on him.

And the baby now has hair like da1. The both have bigger heads and shorter hair looks better.

Of course they are all perfect however they wear their hair! But they are little now so it's my choice.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN