Toddlers & Preschoolers

IQuitCounting
Long Hair On Boys
November 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Okay, so I've got a question.  For mothers with boys with long hair; why?

I ask because I have a friend who is refusing to cut her sons hair (he's a smidge over a year) and I just don't get it.  It's in his face, his eyes, tickling his ears... with a girl and long hair you put it in pony tails, or braids, or use headbands or at least give them a style that keeps it out of their eyes.  When I see boys with long a$$ hair it's almost always unruly and in the way.  So why?

{edit} and by cut I do not mean buzzed.  Buzzed cuts are not the only option for a boy.

{edit} I'm asking out of curiosity, not because I'm pulling my hair out over the topic... just so you know.

{final edit} Okay, again this is out of CURIOSITY, not because I'm hunting you down in Target and berating you in the aisles.  I'm honestly interested in reasons and understanding the why.  Any well thought out reason is good enough so long as it's not "Well, I don't care how my kid feels, I do what I want!"  My son was born with a ful head of hair, and by 7 months we decided to get his hair trimmed.

Prior to first hari cut:

And I hated every hair cut we've paid for ($30 on average) because everyone thinks that clippers are the necessary tool, which is why I cut it myself now.

I love this:

And this

And this:

And this

And this

So what I'm trying to say is that by short I do NOT mean a lack of style, or length even.  When I say long, I mean that when left to it's own devices, the kid isn't having to sweep it aside to even see out of it.

That's my attempt at giving guidelines for an otherwise vaguely defined length.  I consider my son's short in all of the images posted, even short-short in some.  But I love the slightly messy, rock star cuts the best.  I'm not a fan of buzz cuts, at all.  I love style and texture, which is why I cut both my husbands and my sons now rather than pay some chick to f it up and cut it like a "dude".  Just some perspective...

So again... looking for honest input, not upset egos!  Someone brought up religion, fantastic.  Others that their child, individually, just looks nice with longer hair, awesome.  Other's that the actual length has little to do with it, since curls keep it out of the way, logic, it's super wonderful.  Love it.  Keeep it coming.

{I would also have to say that many of the photos posted I would NOT consider long hair.  Although a few definately fit the bill, many are merely longish, long in comparison to buzzed, some curls at the base of the neck does not constitue long}

Replies

• krystlzd3
    November 20, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I hate long hair on boys. I have 3 boys, and as soon as it touches their eyebrows, I shave it. 

• bchic24
    by bchic24
    November 20, 2012 at 6:01 PM
    My son has long hair but his is curly and when it's dry it fluffs up and stays out of his way.
  • Luvmy2babies22
    November 20, 2012 at 6:04 PM

my son had a mullet when he was about 16 months so we gave him his first cut.  his hair is curly so we basically just cut the curls at the nape of his neck.  we tried growing it out from there to give him "skater/hockey" hair and it was really cute but he just gets so sweaty it wasn't realistic for summer.  plus, he also has a large brain (nice way of saying big head) so the bushy hair made it look bigger.  i like the long skater hair but don't like it past the shoulders.  to each his own.

• LucyHarper
    November 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I know people who do it for cultural reasons, but otherwise, I don't get it either. Just looks unkept to me and the kids are constantly getting confused as girls.

• IQuitCounting
    November 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM

See I get that.  I have another friend whose son has super curly hair, so even when it's techincally long it stays out of his way.  The min it starts tickling inside his ears though, she trims it up.

Quoting bchic24:

My son has long hair but his is curly and when it's dry it fluffs up and stays out of his way.

• Gweneveer
    November 20, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I personally love long hair on boys.  I really dont see what the problem is, lol.

• Duquesne
    November 20, 2012 at 6:11 PM
    Mothers must be critical of others because they make different choices for their children. Not sure how my son's hair affects their lives. Lol

Quoting Gweneveer:

I personally love long hair on boys.  I really dont see what the problem is, lol.

• Nichole0403
    November 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    Personal preference.
  • IQuitCounting
    November 20, 2012 at 6:27 PM

It's not that affects my life, it's that I'm curious to hear reasons.  Curiosity encourages us to seek answers and by seeking learn.  What else is an open forum like this for?

Quoting Duquesne:

Mothers must be critical of others because they make different choices for their children. Not sure how my son's hair affects their lives. Lol

Quoting Gweneveer:

• IQuitCounting
    November 20, 2012 at 6:30 PM

The problem in this case, and in many others I've witnessed, is that with small children, those that don't have a say in these things yet themselves, the hair often becomes a point of contention for the child.  It's irritating them, in the way, in their face, etc.  This isn't just about looks, it's about the function.

Quoting Gweneveer:

Toddlers & Preschoolers