Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
mrs_fras_key_yo
Advice Needed: Maybe our son is too young but we have been...
November 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Maybe our son is too young, but we have been introducing him to chicken and other meats but he doesnt seem to want it (its shredded and into little pieces of course). Just want to know is it okay to keep him on baby food? Is he getting enough? He hasnt been sleeping through the night either and we think its because he isnt full enough. But he just doesnt want to eat somedays. Thanks to you all!

Replies

• singlemom1208
    November 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM
    How old is he?
  • bc19
    by bc19
    November 19, 2012 at 5:21 PM

A lot of young children have a texture issue with meat. My son didn't like any kind of meat until just recently at 4.5 years old. You just have to find other foods that will help get him enough protien and subsititue with those :). 

• mamalusbear
    November 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I think it's fine, I still puree foods that are gritty....like oatmeal, rice, because my son won't eat them if they have too much texture.  As far as chicken and other meats go I usually have to puree them until they're really smooth...in a Vitamix or a cuisinart; if you have a kitchen aid mixer you can also use the meat grinder attachment.  Also found that if I mixed gritty meats (like chicken and salmon) with a potato or a yam that my son will eat them...it helps smooth out the texture.  

• clairewait
    November 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I ended the spoon feeding baby food as soon as mine had enough teeth to chew bite sized pieces of table food. Mostly because it freed me during meals to actually sit down and eat, myself. I think it helped that they were really interested in feeding themselves, so though they didn't just love all meats right away, they were both really excited about being able to pick it up.

My first was a voracious eater (still is) and both of mine have been very good sleepers, but there was definitely a transition time where I'm fairly certain we were giving our oldest a banana and possibly dry cereal even after dinner to keep her sleeping through the night.

I guess my thing is that if you hold off for too long on getting them to take the next (natural) steps, on anything, the battle just gets harder as they get older. It is much easier to fight while they are too young to remember anything.

Just keep trying. And like others said, try mixing it other foods. We also line foods up in order of bad to good, so they are working for the things they like to eat the best. It still works.

ETA: It is kind of a mess, but my kids LOVED eating chicken off the bone. And chewing the bone. So we'd always save some meat on the legs and let them gnaw on them from their high chair.

• Firenygirl180
    November 19, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Ds will eat things sometimes.  If he gets bites off our plates he will eat things with no problem, but if he has his own plate he will hardly touch his food.  I do still give him jarred foods because we have so much leftover from WIC and a lot will be expired before the new baby is old enough to eat it.  He get sthe jarred food with other things but he likes to drink it out of the jar instead of eating it with a spoon.  He is 17 months.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts