Toddlers & Preschoolers

mariesmama
what should she know?
November 17, 2012 at 5:34 PM

my daughters been 3 since the end of august shes speech delayed and making awesome progress at school. what stuff should she know how to do at 3 i dont think she knows any letters and cant count shes learning shapes and colors though

Replies

• piwife
    by piwife
    November 17, 2012 at 6:05 PM
    Every child is different. My first 2 kids are 5 and 3 and they are soo different. My first knew her abc by 2, started to write at 3 and to do reading around the same age She is 5 now and on a 1st grade level. My son is almost 4 and knows his shapes, colors and letter a and b.
  • RobynS
    by RobynS
    November 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I wouldn't push her too hard, but incorporate letter and numbers into play. It's okay that she doesn't know them yet, but it's a good time for her to start. :)

• calvinsmommy18
    November 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM
    I don't remember exactly what ds knew at 3. But probably colors. Numbers to 10. Alphabet. Shapes. Now at 4 he can spell his name. Knows his address and phone number. Recognizes letters. Recognizes numbers to 100. Can count to 30. His greatest weakness is writing.
  • Luvmy2babies22
    November 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM

all kids are different and all have their own strengths and interests.  generally at 3 they know or are working on their letters (reciting them as well as recognizing the upper case letters), numbers (counting to at least 10 and recognizing the numbers), basic shapes, basic colors.  They will also be working on fine motor skills:  coloring will start to be more than just scribbles, stringing beads, building block towers, cutting, pouring, etc.

my DD turned 3 at the end of July.  she knows the basic colors and shapes (figured these out just before she started school).  she can count to 15 but is working on learning the numbers visually.  she has known her letters since she was 2 but is working on her lower case now.  she does mostly numbers, counting objects and fine motor stuff at preschool right now.  hoping that she'll be writing at least her name by the end of the year.

it sounds like she's doing great!!!

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    November 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Since she is speech delayed, I'm not quite sure.

• .Angelica.
    November 18, 2012 at 2:15 PM
    Im not sure
  • Nicholy10
    November 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

My son is speech delayed as well. He turned 3 Sept. 10th. He knows his colors and shapes. He tries to write his name (for the most part correct, though appears somewhere dyslexic). He knows some letters, can't say the ABCs though. He can spell his name. He can count without errors to 5. But if asked can retrieve correct number of items up to 10. 

• clairewait
    November 18, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Does she go to preschool?

We take all our cues from the teachers, but AS a teacher, I can tell you there is enough review in every single grade that it almost doesn't matter where any child is at at the beginning of the year.

Kindergarten in public school is the biggest melting pot of all. Think about it. Some kids went to preschool, many didn't, many don't even speak English in the home... so they start all the kids out at the most basic of basics. I imagine if there was something to worry about, you still have a couple of years...

• mariesmama
    November 18, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Quoting clairewait:

Does she go to preschool?

We take all our cues from the teachers, but AS a teacher, I can tell you there is enough review in every single grade that it almost doesn't matter where any child is at at the beginning of the year.

Kindergarten in public school is the biggest melting pot of all. Think about it. Some kids went to preschool, many didn't, many don't even speak English in the home... so they start all the kids out at the most basic of basics. I imagine if there was something to worry about, you still have a couple of years...

yes and her teacher told me shes doing so well she may be ready for regular preschool next yr

• ambermario4ever
    November 18, 2012 at 11:39 PM

My three year old can count to 10 and knows about half of the abc's in order. He can also write his last name and a few other letters. 

Toddlers & Preschoolers