Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Ammie25
Bedtime Battles (need some help!)
by Ammie25
November 15, 2012 at 9:06 PM

So my DD will be 29 months tomorrow. Nap/bed time has been nuts lately. Her usual schedule was up at 8am, naptime start between 1-2:30pm. Then bedtime by 8:30-9pm. This worked wonderfully for so long.

Lately, however, she's up at her usual time, and has been fighting naptime like a plague. If I do get her down, it's after 2, and she sleeps late (til 4:30-5pm). I don't like her sleeping past 4pm. Sleeping that late causes her to be up til after 9pm. It is that much harder to get her to go to sleep because me & fiance go to bed around 10pm anyway, so it's like, well, might as well just have her come to bed when we do. By 10pm, she is overtired, and ends up staying awake (in bed with lights off) til 11pm or later. This late schedule turns into a cycle that's hard to break.

The last few days, I've just been completely skipping naptime. She fights it to the death anyway. I just been doing a short "quiet time". Sure enough, around 4-5pm, she is dead tired. The good thing about this is that she's ready for bed by 7:30pm along with her 3rd grader brother.

But I know this is only a temporary band aid, and more than likely is only going to blow up in my face at some point. I need a long term solution.

Do I get her up earlier, thus she takes an earlier nap, and is ready for bed at a halfway decent time? Shorter naps? I read that 1.5 hrs is a full sleep cycle, so for a child to sleep any less than that doesn't actually help. So I'd like to allow for at least an hour and a half nap.

Our daily schedule is pretty open right now. We just moved to a new city, so we haven't established a routine just yet. We mainly do park outings, library storytime & playgroups, most of which take place between 9am-12pm.

Suggestions please??

Replies

• AdoptingMommy
    November 15, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    My dd is 27 months and os doing the same. It is often this age they dont want to nap as much. Try a 8am wake up 12pm nap, 8-8:30 bedtime. Works great so far. If she has 1 hr rest time or 1-2 hr nap it will help. Just remember the time change kids dont understand.
  • 2blessed2bitch
    November 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM

I need my DD3 to take a nap.  My DS (also 3) is so easy to go down.  He loves his nap, but not my daughter.

I sit quietly in my daughter's room until she falls asleep.  I read her 3 books and then put her in bed.  I sit in the rocking chair, and either read or do cross stitch until she falls asleep.  I rarely speak.  Maybe to whisper "hush" occasionally.  If she gets out of bed, I put her right back in without saying a word.  I do not respond to tantrums, so they usually don't last.  The more you do it, the easier it gets. 

• clairewait
    November 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Get this book at the library: 

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.

I'm sure it contains a solution.

I actually imagine you are missing her sleep window, which changes a little with age. But I swear this book contains the answer to all things sleep related.

• Ammie25
    by Ammie25
    November 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Quoting clairewait:

Get this book at the library: 

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.

I'm sure it contains a solution.

I actually imagine you are missing her sleep window, which changes a little with age. But I swear this book contains the answer to all things sleep related.

Will do!!

• itsm3
    by itsm3
    November 16, 2012 at 9:23 AM

it's normal for kids to stop napping at this time.  they just fight it because staying up is way better than boring ol' sleep (what probably goes through their minds).  so instead, you can just put him to bed earlier for the night. 

don't get him up earlier for the day so he can nap; that'll just mess up the schedule.  just stick to what you normally do, do rest time during his nap time and then early bedtime.  soon, he'll be able to handle the long day without a nap but the early bedtime is a MUST.  if he needs to go down 1hr earlier, do it.  they need to make up the missed nap and will do so through their night sleep. 

as they get older, their wake times change so she's not that tired by her regular nap time (normal).  you can either make nap later and then wake her 1hr later and regular bedtime or make it later, let her wake on her own and then later bedtime.  for me, it was time to stop fighting naps because it was interfering with bedtime and for me, bedtime was more important so ii stopped fighting the nap.

when my dd started skipping her naps, i put her to bed for the night 1hr earlier (or more) and she would sleep for 13hrs straight!  

pls note that early bedtime is temporary as they need it.  as she gets older, you can slowly adjust bedtime to regular bedtime.

• Ammie25
    by Ammie25
    November 17, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Quoting itsm3:

it's normal for kids to stop napping at this time.  they just fight it because staying up is way better than boring ol' sleep (what probably goes through their minds).  so instead, you can just put him to bed earlier for the night. 

don't get him up earlier for the day so he can nap; that'll just mess up the schedule.  just stick to what you normally do, do rest time during his nap time and then early bedtime.  soon, he'll be able to handle the long day without a nap but the early bedtime is a MUST.  if he needs to go down 1hr earlier, do it.  they need to make up the missed nap and will do so through their night sleep. 

as they get older, their wake times change so she's not that tired by her regular nap time (normal).  you can either make nap later and then wake her 1hr later and regular bedtime or make it later, let her wake on her own and then later bedtime.  for me, it was time to stop fighting naps because it was interfering with bedtime and for me, bedtime was more important so ii stopped fighting the nap.

when my dd started skipping her naps, i put her to bed for the night 1hr earlier (or more) and she would sleep for 13hrs straight!  

pls note that early bedtime is temporary as they need it.  as she gets older, you can slowly adjust bedtime to regular bedtime.

This is basically what I have been doing. Her regular bedtime with naps was around 8pm, so I guess I could probably move that up an hour. It's just that I put my 3rd grader to bed at that time too & with his special needs, he needs alot of assistance. So I will see what I can work out. :)

• Wendsdy
    by Wendsdy
    November 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM

My son will be 3 in February.  He did the same exact thing only I would end up until after midnight because he napped so late. We skip the nap and then he goes to bed super early. I get things done at night when the kids are bed and he is up early enough so I can take my daughter to school. I thought it was temporary but it is still happening...over 6 months at least. It is working great!

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts