Toddlers & Preschoolers

amongying31
My 2 year old has ringworm!
November 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Just found out yesterday that my Son has Ringworm on his scalp and I am beside myself.  He was given 8 weeks of oral antibiotics and I tried to put it in his Milk yesterday and it was a no go so I tried it in his Juice which also was a no go.  I tasted the medication and it is a strong/bitter coconut flavor and he needs to take 2-1/4 Teaspoons at one time so I was thinking of putting the liquid in Chocolate Milk.  The problem is he is an extremely picky eater and it has to be taken with a meal/drink high in fat for better absorption so I am running out of ideas.  I did call the Dr. this morning to see if there was a pill/powder form that I could possibly mix with his food.  Have anyone of you been through this and if so do you have any suggestions?!?!?!

Replies

• MommaForever007
    November 14, 2012 at 11:19 AM
    When my son got ring worm (he was also two) we just put a topical anti fungal cream on the area (back of his head) three times a day for three or so weeks. There are two different major ingredients out there, I can't remember which one worked better, but it was the second one we tried. Much better than taking something orally in my opinion
  • MommaForever007
    November 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM
    And don't worry about it too much, ringworm is fairly common and not actually a worm at all. It can be transmitted easily from person to person, to/from dogs, or merely by playing in the dirt. No big deal, as normal as athletes foot.
  • corrinacs
    November 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Hey mama,

I was just reading an article about this.  Looks like you are doing everything right by attempting to mix it.  Have you thought about contacting the doctor again to see if they can get you a more concentrated dose.  That way there's less to get down. 

I have been through this and the best I have done with my kids is to mix it in (as you have done), or chase it with something really good like chocolate syrup LOL.  

here's the article I read:

http://www.parents.com/health/medicine/antibiotics/getting-kids-to-take-medicine/

• BostonMomma08
    November 14, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    My son got it last year, I just went to the pharmacy and talked to the pharmacist, he recommended an antifungal, we put it on a few times a day for a few weeks and that was that...
  • amongying31
    November 15, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Thank you so much Ladies!! I did contact the Dr. and she prescribed a pill form which I managed to crush and put in his pudding.  I felt awesome yesterday because he also let me wash his hair with the special shampoo and sat 10 minutes before I rinsed it.  I do not feel too bad now and I know as a single Mom I am doing the best I can!! Thank you all for reassuring me and easing my fears!!

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    November 15, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Sorry I don't know.  Here's a bump and good luck.

• Nichole0403
    November 15, 2012 at 1:45 PM
    Try mixing it with Hershey's syrup, either strawberry or chocolate. Then see if you can get a syringe and give it to him that way. Just ask the pharmacy for a syringe they will give you one.
  • mellyfury
    November 16, 2012 at 8:13 AM

same her my two year  old is extreamly picky and we are working on clearing up his ringworm.! ask for the cream... its helping alot and i dont have to trick him into taking it..

• teri4lance
    November 16, 2012 at 8:15 AM
    Quit putting it in his drinks. That rarely works. Get a syringe and put it way back and squirt it in. he'll have to swallow it
  • amongying31
    November 16, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Oh Nichole, I tried that this AM and it was a no go so I need to call the Dr. and come up with something new.  Thank you for your advice!

Toddlers & Preschoolers