Toddlers & Preschoolers

MLBrown
My 2 yo won't sleep...please help
by MLBrown
November 14, 2012 at 9:06 AM
2 1/2 weeks ago my 2 year old woke up screaming and crying hysterically. I got him calmed down but when I turned the light back off he started freaking out again. The next night when I put him to bed, he started freaking out again. The third night I left the light on when I put him to bed. The 4th night even with the light on he freaked out when I left the room. We bought him a nightlight (which he picked out) but that didn't help. We have cut out naps, re-arranged his room, tried melatonin but nothing has helped him sleep in his own bed. On my days off I have stayed up with him and my dh has done the same on his days off. We don't want him to get into the habit of sleeping in our bed. Mostly he sleeps on the couch. The few times he has fallen asleep in his bed, he wakes up about an hour later freaking out. All his bedding has been washed. Now I think I'm going to take the crib side down and convert it to a toddler bed (yes he's still in a crib but he hasn't tried climbing out so I seen no reason to take him out). ANY OTHER IDEAS? I need help :-( he isn't going to sleep until midnight or later and we are all tired!

Replies

• .Angelica.
    November 14, 2012 at 10:09 AM

does he talk well enough yet to tell you why he's scared? my son went through a short phase of being scared to sleep in his room. I had his stuffed puppy scare everything away every night and protect him and that seemed to work for him.

• MLBrown
    by MLBrown
    November 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM
    No he doesn't :-( but I'll try your idea. Who knows it may work! Thanks!

Quoting .Angelica.:

does he talk well enough yet to tell you why he's scared? my son went through a short phase of being scared to sleep in his room. I had his stuffed puppy scare everything away every night and protect him and that seemed to work for him.

• MLBrown
    by MLBrown
    November 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    Anyone else have any ideas?
  • PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    November 14, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Sorry I've never had these issues.  :( Sounds rough.  Here's a bump and good luck!

• STVUstudent
    November 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM

At around this age, we had monsters and bears.  I sprayed the room down with monster repellant (water in a spray bottle), and a family friend took the bears home with him...  worked like a champ...

• Maevelyn
    November 15, 2012 at 9:36 AM

You need to be firm and patient. He should be able to tell you what is freaking him out. If he's having nightmares, go to the pediatrician bc he could have night terrors. If he's just freaking out and it's a phase, then just keep the approach that we're big now and we sleep in our own bed. I don't know that I would chang his crib out bc it might scare him more. 

• corrinacs
    November 15, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Have you talked ot him about why he screams as soon as you leave?  Sounds like an overactive imagination to me, scaring him a little bit.  I gave Caden his own flashlight and for a while he had a squirt bottle (with a little water).  He could "Squirt" the monsters away :) :).

Good luck

Toddlers & Preschoolers