Toddlers & Preschoolers

Mommy2armyskids
Biting????
November 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM

come homeIs your kids biting? My two almost 3 year old has just started biting.... I just had a baby she is a week old. Any help with this is nice......  Posting for a friend 

Replies

• Luvmy2babies22
    November 14, 2012 at 1:19 AM

she's most likely reacting to the change in the home and isn't able to productively express her feelings about what's going on.  my son started biting my dd when she was about a year and started crawling/cruising.  he was frustrated with the attention she was getting and frustrated that she was all up in his business after being stationary for so long.  that actually lasted a while but eventually stopped.  she is 3 and he will be 6 next month and i can't remember the last time he bit her.  he's just an oral kid and it's his go-to emotional release.  it's just something we had to work very hard on, try to head off but then punish for when it happened.

• Blondemommy64
    November 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    My uncle use to bite my dad when they were little so my gpa bit him back and showed him how it felt and he stopped lol
  • athompson2189
    November 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM

I know this sounds mean, but if she bites you, bite her back, not hard but hard enough to show her how it feels. Broke mine of it after the first time she tried it. lol 

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    November 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Thankfully no. 

• prettymomma1204
    November 14, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    Please don't bite back =(. Kids bite for so many reasons. A new baby is a big one. The best thing you can do is show the older child that you do see them and that they are still very important to you. Praise them often and ask if they can help you with simple tasks like feeding or bathing the baby. Take time out to spend with them alone and with no mention of the baby. It is a tough transition and it can be hard for young kids to communicate their frustration. Just be patient and firm about the biting. This too shall pass.
  • furbabymum
    November 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM

My DS bit like a fiend forever. What stopped it was moving him into a different daycare room. The room he's in now has kids older than he is. It's the different dynamic that has ceased his biting.

I stopped him biting me by popping him in the mouth. That's the only thing that ever worked. Time out never did anything, saying ow, nothing worked but popping him in the mouth.

• calvinsmommy18
    November 15, 2012 at 11:36 AM
    My kids were not biters but I was. I think my mom did bite me back when I bit my brother. I eventually stopped but idk what she did to stop me besides that
  • Sharebear1729
    November 15, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I have a daycare for 10 years now and this is the  first time i have ever had a "bitter"!  she is only 16 months and she is quick at grabbing/latching onto the kids and bitting them.  She not only bites, she knows how to pinch.    But this little girl just started walking and recently introduced to the playroom.  she just started interacting with other children.  I always felt that bitting was a learned behavior.  No one in the daycare has ever even come close to bitting, fighting or even taking a toy from her.  All the kids adore her and give her toys to play with.  But once she sets her eye on a toy and if the kid doesnt give it up, she will bite them, grab them and pinch them.  Kids are going home complaining now so i have to do something constructive.

I cannot bite the child back or hit the child in the mouth,  which are the only advice that i hear will stop a child from bitting.  Does anyone have anyother suggestions.  Help

Toddlers & Preschoolers