Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
bittersweet.
? about timeouts...
October 11, 2012 at 9:48 PM

If/when you child is in time out...do you make them sit? What if the lay down or so forth? Do I keep making him sit on his butt? I'm kind of torn with it. When we do timeouts...he will stay in the timeout spot, but will lay on his back or belly. I feel like it's his little way of saying-I'm still doing what I want! (he's 26months!)

Replies

• Luvmy2babies22
    October 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM
    Let it go. The point is to remove him from what got him in trouble in the first place. Whether he sits on his butt out not is unimportant. You just want him where you put him
  • StacyO722
    October 11, 2012 at 10:08 PM

DD stands in the corner with her nose facing the corner. It works better for us that way. If you want him to sit and not lay down, try putting him in a chair.

Personally, as long as he was staying there and not playing, I wouldn't stress about it.

• sjoshea
    by sjoshea
    October 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM

For my son (3 y/o), as long as he stays in the spot, I am not going to nit-pic.   To me, the lesson is the stoppage of playing and the child taking the time to think about what they have done that got them into this situation.

• sophiesmom07
    October 12, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I'm content with her just staying in that spot.  Ignore him while on the time out spot. 

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    October 12, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I send my daughter to her room.  In my point of view, she is having a time out from the situation.  If she goes into her room and lays in bed, fine.  If she goes and reads some books, fine.  If she is playing appropriately and not destroying her room, fine.  The whole point of time out (to me) is to give her a time out from the situation so that when she is calm and ready to behave, she can come out and apologize for misbehaving and we can have a conversation about it.  This works for our family perfectly.

• JenD_77
    by JenD_77
    October 12, 2012 at 3:09 PM

We've tried a chair and sittin on a mat.. standing them in the spot with their nose on the wall, hands down has been what works, even for our youngest two. Sometimes my 5 year old will lay down on the floor but keep in the general area. you can always try a mat that is a little bigger or a piece of cardboard that you and him can decorate by coloring and write Time Out Spot on it, then explain best you can about the rules that go with the time out spot.

• calvinsmommy18
    October 13, 2012 at 1:37 PM

i send ds to his room for time outs, if he wants to lay in his bed fine, sometimes i do back in the 3 or 4 mins and hes asleep in bed, usually the timeouts that he gets when hes being very whiney and idk whats wrong end like that.

• angevil53
    October 13, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    That young its fine as long as they are quiet but not playing. At four i switched to nose in the corner.
  • sweetone44_2004
    October 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM
    Dd is 3.5 and I don't care how she sits/lays as long as her body is facing the corner. We have always done corner for time out.
  • Katt709
    by Katt709
    October 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM
    This.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

Let it go. The point is to remove him from what got him in trouble in the first place. Whether he sits on his butt out not is unimportant. You just want him where you put him

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts