Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
ash522
No...no...no...no..no..no...no
by ash522
October 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM
If I hear 'NO' one more time....... What do you do to curb the 'no' thing? My DS is 2.5 & it's getting ridiculous. He's got major attitude when he says it. My oldest didn't go through this so I'm not sure how to handle it. I've tried ignoring it, he just gets louder & more 'bully-ish' about it. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JenD_77
    by JenD_77
    October 12, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I really dont have the problem with any kids sayin no, it's more the Evil Laugh of Defiance... which we usually talk to them seriously and tell them that whatever they are doin isn't nice and needs to stop. most of the time it works but if it gets too far, we do time outs, even for the youngest who is 1.5 right now.

• FebPenguins
    October 13, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I have heard of a spray bottle of water. Try to remember that it takes time to change a habit.

• prettymomma1204
    October 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

you can give him a very firm time out and stick to it. tell him why he is there and that this is his time out.

You could also gently guide him to his room and close the door. do not give him eye contact or respond to him.

Praise the good things he does and give him positive attention for his good behavior and do your best to not let the poor behavior ruffle your feathers. it is a passing faze. 

• calvinsmommy18
    October 13, 2012 at 1:36 PM

time outs, send him to his room til he can come out and apologize for being rude.

• ProudMommy51006
    October 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM
    I ignore the "no" with a, "thank you"and move on. If my ds (2.5 also) says "no" again, I firmly tell him "now" and he gets moving.
    We "pluck" too (we call it thumping) but for bad words.
  • BlessedBeX3
    October 13, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Kids will do anything for attention..even if its negative.. So maybe he needs some more mom  time? My 2.5yr old was acting HORRIBLY after my youngest tarted walking bc that meant she had to share her toys..and space. lol So she'd push her, yell at us, scream no no no no no. Untill we showed her just as much attention as we did the others (what i mean is. my 4yr old is constantly talking to us interacting with us, my 1yr old is well a 1yr old so she gets a lot of attention too, but my 2.5yr old would just run off and play, do her own lil thing so we made sure to give her special time, bc its hard being the middle child.) anyway, that may be a resolve to the problem. OR you can just stop saying "No" yourself. Try saying "uh uh" as a way of saying no, or if he gets too harsh and loud..you could put him in time out and say, "untill you are ready to use your inside voice and be nice you can stay here"

• LML1
    by LML1
    October 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I don't use that word around my dd. I always try to be creative with my vocabulary when I correct her. Ex: If she starts to run away from my in a public place. I say "that's dangerous don't do that." If she's becomes a whiney hiney; I say, "I don't like your attitude." So on and so forth. You'll be surprised how fast your little one catches on.

• mypbandj
    Jen
    October 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM
    I guess I don't understand why he can't say the word no.

And people are "plucking" their kids for it??? WTF?
  • Kathy489
    October 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

It's a power struggle. You have to keep ignoring it until he understands it won't get him anywhere.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts