Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
softkitty369
Cradle cap/dry scalp?
October 10, 2012 at 8:31 PM
I noticed that my daughter had dry scalp the other day. When she takes a shower/bath, we always make sure that her hair is as rinsed out as possible from soap and she doesn't get any lotion or anything eles on her head. So when I noticed that she had that I was a bit perplexed. So I got the baby oil and rubbed it into her scalp. Well I let it sit and then I washed her hair before she went to bed. Well we let her hair dry and the checked it again. Her dry scalp was still there. Now I don't know what eles to do.

Any ideas or possibly an explaination as to why it happened in the first place?

Replies

• softkitty369
    October 10, 2012 at 11:47 PM

BUMP!

• Flaca43
    by Flaca43
    October 11, 2012 at 1:17 AM
    I don't know why it happens, but we have used baby oil and combed it off when the kids had it. I used the baby comb and it came out. Doesn't hurt...I actually think it might feel good because I think the cradle cap might itch. Not sure though.
  • mypbandj
    Jen
    October 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM
    My dd had cradle cap and I actually didn't notice it at first. She has dark hair. I would rub some oil (like coconut oil or whatever) in one area then brush out the scales bit by bit. It wasn't something I was able to get rid of by just washing her hair. I had to moisturize it and pick it out.
  • bhwrn1
    by bhwrn1
    October 11, 2012 at 5:52 AM

how old is she?

• AnGLInterrupted
    October 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM

They have creams for cradle cap if I remember correctly.  With the baby medicine at the store.

My daughter never developed it.  I put a tiny dab of baby oil on her scalp every night and gently rubbed it in.

• MrS.GiFFord
    October 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

we used head and shoulders on our boys.

• softkitty369
    October 11, 2012 at 6:38 PM
    E
    Quoting bhwrn1:

how old is she?

She'll be two at the end of the month.
  • preacherskid
    October 11, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    When our older dd's scalp looks really dry (she has eczema due to allergies) I put olive or sunflower oil on it, let it sit, comb, and then wash. If I don't wash her hair too often her scalp stays good looking- moe often than twice a week though and everything starts to dry out. When she gets older she will use our dandruff shampoo.
  • corrinacs
    October 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Have you changed shampoos or any other detergents or soaps recently?  Perhaps she's allergic to one of those and I'd suggset switching to what she (and you) were using before.  Also, has she tried any new foods lately?  That could cause it.

If its really bad, you can get a dibble of Selsum Blue to put in her hair at most twice a week.  To get the scales off now, I would put baby oil in her hair (like you have) and rub it in and kind of lightly scratch at it to get it off....and then wash her hair in her normal shampoo.

Good luck :)

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts