Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
sumannie
Have your kids done this or do this?
October 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM
My son rocks hisself to sleep or hits his head on his pillow that he holds to get to sleep. Hes 2 and turning 3 soon. Hes been doing this since he first started sitting up. I have asked the doctor about it and she said its normal and that theres nothing wrong with it or him. Do any of your kids do that or did that?

Replies

• mewebb82
    October 10, 2012 at 10:50 AM

My son did that, but mostly just when he was teething. I think the repetition was kind of a distraction from the pain.

• Pink_Love
    October 10, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    Dd2 and Ds don't do this. Dd1 has since she was a couple months old, Idk if it ties into it or not but the biggest difference between my 3 is, Dd1 has cerebral palsy. She rocks and hits her head against the wall or whatever she can. I constantly wake up to a banging noise and it's always her
  • sumannie
    October 10, 2012 at 11:00 AM
    Quoting Pink_Love:

Dd2 and Ds don't do this. Dd1 has since she was a couple months old, Idk if it ties into it or not but the biggest difference between my 3 is, Dd1 has cerebral palsy. She rocks and hits her head against the wall or whatever she can. I constantly wake up to a banging noise and it's always her
    He does that sort of. I mean he rocks sitting in the floor against the wall or dresser or if hes sitting on a bed he bounces. I don't know if its just a soothing thing he likes doing or if its something tied into it. Sometimes I get woke up by him rocking and thats bc he tries to get back to sleep.
  • Pink_Love
    October 10, 2012 at 11:13 AM
    I honestly think it's soothing. When I was pregnant with DD1 I always rocked myself to sleep cuz she was so active in the womb so I would rock until she stopped kicking and I could go to sleep. Did u do anything like that?

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

He does that sort of. I mean he rocks sitting in the floor against the wall or dresser or if hes sitting on a bed he bounces. I don't know if its just a soothing thing he likes doing or if its something tied into it. Sometimes I get woke up by him rocking and thats bc he tries to get back to sleep.
  • sumannie
    October 10, 2012 at 11:23 AM
    Quoting Pink_Love:

I honestly think it's soothing. When I was pregnant with DD1 I always rocked myself to sleep cuz she was so active in the womb so I would rock until she stopped kicking and I could go to sleep. Did u do anything like that?

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

Now that I think about it I guess I did rock. lol. Idk I guess I did it without thinking. I used to always rock myself to sleep when I couldn't sleep. So I gess he got that from me. lol. (: Maybe I'm just over thinking. I just don't want anything to be wrong I guess. I'm sure you hear this a lot but I'm sorry your child has cerable palsy.
  • OBImomma
    October 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM
    My Ds would hit his head in different things to fall asleep. He's 5 now and no longer does it.
  • Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    October 10, 2012 at 11:30 AM

mine doesn't do that but he rubs his feet together

• Pink_Love
    October 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM
    Thank you. You can barely notice she does. If you don't pay attention to her left foot when she walks, then you'd never know. It turns in very slightly and she has Dystonia which draws her left arm up and in every once in awhile.

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

Quoting sumannie:

Quoting Pink_Love:

Now that I think about it I guess I did rock. lol. Idk I guess I did it without thinking. I used to always rock myself to sleep when I couldn't sleep. So I gess he got that from me. lol. (: Maybe I'm just over thinking. I just don't want anything to be wrong I guess. I'm sure you hear this a lot but I'm sorry your child has cerable palsy.
  • Luvmy2babies22
    October 10, 2012 at 11:34 AM

mine doesn't do that but my daughter has always slept with a blanket or stuffed animal over her head.  she has since she was about 9 months old.  it just soothes her to have something covering her eyes and face.  it's  just her thing.  sounds like that's just your son's thing.

• robbinsroost
    October 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM
    My niece does it and my sister has been trying for a few years to get her to stop. She is ten now and her rocking has caused her whole bed to shake since she was about 5. She was doing it when my sister married her dad, but it got worse after she was molested by her bio moms BF. She does not do it much anymore, only when she is stressed.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts