Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
robibuni
Homeschooling help!
October 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

So here lately we've been trying to do some basic homeschooling with DD1. She's 3.5 this month.

She pretty much knows her ABCs, numbers, shapes, and colors, so I'm working on her tracing her letters so she can get an idea of writing, how the pencil feels in her fingers, etc.

I found a bunch of printables and we've only done the letters A, B, and C. Well, that sounds like there's no issues, but DD takes the pencil, tries to trace, and the minute she can't get it, starts screaming and saying "I CAN'T DO IT!!" and begins scribbling all over the paper, ruining it. To say she's a perfectionist is an understatement, I think.

She's always saying "I can't do it!" (I'm not sure why, really). Is there any way I can continue to encourage her to trace her letters without throwing in the towel immediately? Is it me? Even when she gets CLOSE to the letter, I tell her what an amazing job she's doing. Maybe she would do better in a classroom?

HELP! :(

Replies

• .Angelica.
    October 9, 2012 at 4:13 PM

bump

I always tell my son that he won't get better if he doesn't practice.

• debramommyof4
    October 9, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Make it fun games and not so much actual writing.  I would try for writing the letters in sand or making them out of playdough.  She will get it.  She just doesnt want to write them yet.

• sweetone44_2004
    October 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM
    I am doing the exact same thing with my dd and she is 3.5 also! How crazy. We have been using her leap pad to trace the letters and such because our printer is outta ink, but she gets frustrated easily also. I let her take a break and we get right back at it. She much rather draw hee shapes and stuff but I want to get her ready for preschool as well.
  • Kris_PBG
    October 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM
    Quoting debramommyof4:

Make it fun games and not so much actual writing.  I would try for writing the letters in sand or making them out of playdough.  She will get it.  She just doesnt want to write them yet.

Exactly - through the use if more developmentally appropriate lessons, you will have less frustration and increased success.

Have her pick up and sort objects with large tweezers, work with modeling clay, firm letters with lay dough, etc... Those will be much more effective at developing fine motor skills and are developmentally appropriate.
  • Kris_PBG
    October 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    Quoting sweetone44_2004:

I am doing the exact same thing with my dd and she is 3.5 also! How crazy. We have been using her leap pad to trace the letters and such because our printer is outta ink, but she gets frustrated easily also. I let her take a break and we get right back at it. She much rather draw hee shapes and stuff but I want to get her ready for preschool as well.

Creating shapes and different squiggles actually IS beneficial. Take your child's lead. :)
  • PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    October 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Sorry I'm not sure.  I haven't started tracing exercises with my 3.5 year old yet.  I was going to start that next year. :)

• collinsmommy0
    October 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM
    I'd make it more fun, and start with tracing just lines or shapes. Large ones. Then eventually shrink those down to a decent size.

You can do it on a dry erase board with markers (fat so easier to make the lines), or use markers on the paper.
  • jmreeced
    October 9, 2012 at 11:54 PM
    I agree with this is most classrooms they start by tracing squiggles and lines. Also you can have her spin a top or jacks to help her practice gripping a pencil.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

I'd make it more fun, and start with tracing just lines or shapes. Large ones. Then eventually shrink those down to a decent size.

You can do it on a dry erase board with markers (fat so easier to make the lines), or use markers on the paper.

• mommieof3_752
    October 10, 2012 at 12:37 AM

My daughter has always been this way. She is now 7 and everything still needs to be perfect. Try this.....make a on a sheet of paper draw a sticker chart. For every letter she traces 5 times give her a sticker. Then you can reward treats every time she gets 5-10 stickers. This worked well for my daughter. We still use a large sticker chart we have on the wall. It has my 3 kids names on it and for everytime they follow directions or do something helpful they get a sticker. For every 20 stickers they get a dollar. There is also and X's chart for every X they get 2, 5, or 7 minutes in the timeout chair. Thats one minute for each of the kids ages.

• tel4him
    by tel4him
    October 10, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Let trace squiggles or shapes.  Or tracing letters in pudding or dry rice can be a lot of fun for kids. 

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN