Toddlers & Preschoolers

MrsMetalMama
is it potty time yet?!
October 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM
My son turned two a few weeks ago. he tells me when he is wet and nasty. but he won't use his potty he would rather take it apart. my oldest son was easy. he dis exactly as i did and that was 5yrs ago. any tips please :)

Replies

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    October 9, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Maybe he wants to sit on the big potty instead.  Also try putting him in undies for several days in a row.

• MrsMetalMama
    October 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM
    I've put him in them and he pees then tells me :/

Quoting PEEK05:

Maybe he wants to sit on the big potty instead.  Also try putting him in undies for several days in a row.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    October 9, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Be more proactive.  I took my daughter potty with me every time i went and I made sure I had time to watch her all the way so if she looked like she needed to go potty, I'd send her in.  If she started to pee, I grabbed her hand and ran her to the bathroom.  Each time I just encouraged her to try to put the pee pee in the potty next time.  She trained within just a couple of days.

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Quoting PEEK05:

• MrsMetalMama
    October 9, 2012 at 11:38 AM
    Right now he is naked and his potty is in the living room. maybe that will work?

Quoting PEEK05:

Be more proactive.  I took my daughter potty with me every time i went and I made sure I had time to watch her all the way so if she looked like she needed to go potty, I'd send her in.  If she started to pee, I grabbed her hand and ran her to the bathroom.  Each time I just encouraged her to try to put the pee pee in the potty next time.  She trained within just a couple of days.

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Quoting PEEK05:

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    October 9, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Maybe.  Good luck! :)

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Right now he is naked and his potty is in the living room. maybe that will work?

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Quoting PEEK05:

• MrsMetalMama
    October 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    Thanks. this ia the tough part of parenting

Quoting PEEK05:

Maybe.  Good luck! :)

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Quoting PEEK05:

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Quoting PEEK05:

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    October 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

DS1 did the same thing when he turned 2 but refused to potty train until he turned 3... peditrician said it was normal and to let him do it on his own. I did that for a while and then one day I said no, took all his clothes off, and wouldn't let him put any on. Told him if he messes on the floor he has to clean it. Everytime he used the potty he could get one piece of clothing back (he hates being naked). Worked, he was fully potty trained within a week (still has a few accidents here and there but nothing major).

• MrsMetalMama
    October 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    Man. mine loves to be nakey lol. so right now we left toilet in living room but when i potty i have him carry to bathroom and he sits while i sit. but its just not working ;/

Quoting Larsbug:

DS1 did the same thing when he turned 2 but refused to potty train until he turned 3... peditrician said it was normal and to let him do it on his own. I did that for a while and then one day I said no, took all his clothes off, and wouldn't let him put any on. Told him if he messes on the floor he has to clean it. Everytime he used the potty he could get one piece of clothing back (he hates being naked). Worked, he was fully potty trained within a week (still has a few accidents here and there but nothing major).

• HTMommy
    by HTMommy
    October 9, 2012 at 11:50 AM

my 3 were all different and I have 3 boys. But you know all kids are different. Try something different with him. I used all different methods with mine. My oldest was easiest. He told me he had to go and would get up and go...extremely independant. My middle it got to the point where he knew he had to go, but would do the same as your son and go on himself. I made him clean up the mess at the suggestion of someone else in my position and it worked. He thought it was gross and I talked with him and told him thats what I had to do, he's old enough to know he has to go, so get up and go or clean the mess up yourself.

My youngest liked his little potty but got too big for it (knees in his face) so we moved to the big potty with a cushioned seat insert.

• Larsbug
    by Larsbug
    October 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM

every kid is different and you just have to find what works for him. reward system, shooting cereal with his pee, some people have to start outside... and boys are harder than girls to train from what I've heard...

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Man. mine loves to be nakey lol. so right now we left toilet in living room but when i potty i have him carry to bathroom and he sits while i sit. but its just not working ;/

Quoting Larsbug:

Toddlers & Preschoolers