Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
MrsMetalMama
is it potty time yet?!
October 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM
My son turned two a few weeks ago. he tells me when he is wet and nasty. but he won't use his potty he would rather take it apart. my oldest son was easy. he dis exactly as i did and that was 5yrs ago. any tips please :)

Replies

• HTMommy
    by HTMommy
    October 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM

The other thing is he may not be fully ready. Does he stay dry at night? Is he dry during naps and long periods of time in between? Those are the major signs of readiness. not just a specific age ya know? My oldest started at 3, my middle almost 4 (ya I know) and my youngest was JUST over 2. Then you have some kids that are super early at like 18 months and all that so they're all different. Good luck

• Ktina11
    by Ktina11
    October 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    I was going to say the same thing. I have three boys and they were/are all different. I am just now starting with YDS. I will be relieved once they are all trained!

Quoting HTMommy:

my 3 were all different and I have 3 boys. But you know all kids are different. Try something different with him. I used all different methods with mine. My oldest was easiest. He told me he had to go and would get up and go...extremely independant. My middle it got to the point where he knew he had to go, but would do the same as your son and go on himself. I made him clean up the mess at the suggestion of someone else in my position and it worked. He thought it was gross and I talked with him and told him thats what I had to do, he's old enough to know he has to go, so get up and go or clean the mess up yourself.

My youngest liked his little potty but got too big for it (knees in his face) so we moved to the big potty with a cushioned seat insert.

• MrsMetalMama
    October 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM
    He just pee peed in his potty!!! right when daddy was calling to check up on us!!

Quoting Larsbug:

every kid is different and you just have to find what works for him. reward system, shooting cereal with his pee, some people have to start outside... and boys are harder than girls to train from what I've heard...

Quoting MrsMetalMama:

Man. mine loves to be nakey lol. so right now we left toilet in living room but when i potty i have him carry to bathroom and he sits while i sit. but its just not working ;/

Quoting Larsbug:

DS1 did the same thing when he turned 2 but refused to potty train until he turned 3... peditrician said it was normal and to let him do it on his own. I did that for a while and then one day I said no, took all his clothes off, and wouldn't let him put any on. Told him if he messes on the floor he has to clean it. Everytime he used the potty he could get one piece of clothing back (he hates being naked). Worked, he was fully potty trained within a week (still has a few accidents here and there but nothing major).

• rocrobin90
    October 9, 2012 at 12:11 PM

My oldest son did the samething. He just started to use the potty and he is 2.5 years but he dont want to use the potty all the time. I keep taking him every so often then i told him if he used the potty then he would get a sticker or some goldfish.

• HTMommy
    by HTMommy
    October 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM

I was actually really shocked that my youngest was completely trained by 2y9m....Considering I wasn't even going to START until his 3rd bday. LOL It is such a nice feeling to be out of diapers for a long while

Quoting Ktina11:

I was going to say the same thing. I have three boys and they were/are all different. I am just now starting with YDS. I will be relieved once they are all trained!

Quoting HTMommy:

my 3 were all different and I have 3 boys. But you know all kids are different. Try something different with him. I used all different methods with mine. My oldest was easiest. He told me he had to go and would get up and go...extremely independant. My middle it got to the point where he knew he had to go, but would do the same as your son and go on himself. I made him clean up the mess at the suggestion of someone else in my position and it worked. He thought it was gross and I talked with him and told him thats what I had to do, he's old enough to know he has to go, so get up and go or clean the mess up yourself.

My youngest liked his little potty but got too big for it (knees in his face) so we moved to the big potty with a cushioned seat insert.

• Luvmy2babies22
    October 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

I would continue to keep him naked when you are home but just don't force it.  I saw that he just used the potty so he does get it but just might not be 100% ready yet.  Continue doing what you are doing and keep it casual.  My son trained at 3 1/2, my DD trained at 2 years 9 months.  They are all different and all train in their own time.  The one thing that is for sure is that he won't graduate college in a diaper so 2, 2 1/2, 3, etc. makes no difference in the long run.  I think it's more important to not make the process painful for anyone.  It sounds like he's on the right track!!!!

• MrsMetalMama
    October 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM
    He used it twice so far since i started the post but he starts to freak out when it comes then once i get him sitting i am excited he will get exited.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

I would continue to keep him naked when you are home but just don't force it.  I saw that he just used the potty so he does get it but just might not be 100% ready yet.  Continue doing what you are doing and keep it casual.  My son trained at 3 1/2, my DD trained at 2 years 9 months.  They are all different and all train in their own time.  The one thing that is for sure is that he won't graduate college in a diaper so 2, 2 1/2, 3, etc. makes no difference in the long run.  I think it's more important to not make the process painful for anyone.  It sounds like he's on the right track!!!!

• .Angelica.
    October 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM

bump

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts