Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
3babiesofmyown
My 2yr old woke up screaming.
October 9, 2012 at 7:06 AM
So about 45 minutes ago my son woke up screaming and kicking violently. He was in bed with us so I tried to hold him but he just freaked. He's not talking now so I tried to get him to point. He just pointed at the air. I couldn't tell for sure if he was scared or in pain.

My conclusion is that his legs must have been hurting. I went through it as a kid, my oldest daughter went though it and still does. I've got him in the couch with a bottle, cartoons, and a hearin pad. My dd's had her own heatig pad since she was 2. I guess he needs one now. I hope I'm wrong. It was terrible for me and still is sometimes. and I has a 6mo old. Will she hurt too?

Sorry so long. I just needed to share this somewhere. My poor babies. I know it could be worse but I hate seeing them in pain.

Replies

• HTMommy
    by HTMommy
    October 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Charley horses can last for short or long amounts of time especially if not treated. (its hard to know whats going on when they don't talk well) They are actually caused my lack of potassium. They typically strike the legs. Start getting everyone to eat banana's regularly and it should help. My mom has suffered from them all her life. Sometimes she also gets them if she is too warm or too cold. It really sounds like thats what it was. Heat helps, but up his potassium intake. Get him on a daily vitamin if he's not. Also the hard ones are better since they have Iron and the gummy ones don't. They can't mineralize iron into a gummy form so therefore its not in them. Good luck

Quoting 3babiesofmyown:

He's barely talking. So he doesn't communicate well at all. He just turned 2 last month. He did toss and turn a lot last night. Would he have gotten a charley horse in both legs? Would it have lasted that long? I don't know. I wish he could tell me exactly what was going on

Quoting corrinacs:

I am with PEEK05.  What you describe sounds like a night terror and in his kicking response may have gotten himself a charlyhourse.  Glad you were able to calm him down and put a heating pad.  I'd rub his leg too :).  Is he saying anything else about the incident?

• lauratupper
    October 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

My ds does that when he has a night terror, he won't let him touch him and he gets very upset. I talk to him softly until he calms down and then rub his back until he falls back asleep.

• 3babiesofmyown
    October 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    I read up on night terrors and I don't think that was it.

Quoting lauratupper:

My ds does that when he has a night terror, he won't let him touch him and he gets very upset. I talk to him softly until he calms down and then rub his back until he falls back asleep.

• .Angelica.
    October 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM

awe. i'm not sure what it could have been but if you and your older kid go through the same thing it's likely it could be that.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN