Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
kherz
please read: important safety reminder!
by kherz
October 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM
I put my 2 yr old twins in their room for a nap. We recently switched them to toddler beds. They usually play for a while then fall asleep. In the meantime, I was trying to get my 3 yr old to nap as well. After 20 minutes I heard an awefull scream and loud crash. I was in the room next to theirs and I ran in as fast as I could. I found one of the girls laying under a three drawer dresser! My other daughter was standing next to it. I could not beleive they had pulled the dresser over. I quickly lifted it up off her. She was crying but as soon as I picked her up..after about 30sec she said "all done" and was acting totally normal. I only found 1 bruise on her shin. My other daughter was pointing to.her head saying "owie" but not crying and I couldn't see any marks on her. I had never been so scared in my life. I was worried all day and night. They were totally fine. I think it was a true miracle from God that they were not injured. Lessend learned: never take safety of your kids for granted. I had my husband buy brackets to secure their dresser the next day. And now I am a paranoid mom, but I think that is good. I am still freaking out about this! Which is why I can't sleep tonight.

Replies

• Randi02
    by Randi02
    October 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    Glad your child is ok.

We anchor all dressers and bookshelves to the wall.
  • LKRA
    by LKRA
    October 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM
    I pulled a dresser onto myself when I was a kid. I'm fine now. (Just don't ask around about that, 'cause they're all liars.)
  • msjoecool
    October 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM
    Im so glad your little ones are OK. My nephew died less than a month before his second birthday because of an unsecured dresser.
  • babowes
    by babowes
    October 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    Super scarey. Man makes you think about a lot in your house.
  • DeeDee205
    October 9, 2012 at 10:35 AM

That IS scary.  I'm a paranoid mom... was before my first was even born. lol.  My husband thinks I'm too paranoid and that really angers me because my attitude is "better safe than sorry".  Time for me to start insisting he buys brackets for those things that don't even seem wobbly.

Glad your little one is ok. I'm sure you'll be watching her like a hawk over the next 48 hours.

• SevysMomma
    October 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I am one of those really paranoid moms too. These kinds of things DO happen, frequently. I would rather be considered too safe than too sorry.

That said, we have those plastic storage drawers, I had two stacked on top of each other, six drawers. One morning I guess DS thought he could climb and they all fell on him. I was SO scared and worried and sad. We secured them immediately and he was 100 percent fine since they were pretty light weight - but I was mortified.

Glad your LO's are fine!

• .Angelica.
    October 9, 2012 at 4:27 PM

scary. glad they are okay.

• Luvmy2babies22
    October 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM

We had a similar experience with our son when he was about 4 1/2.  One day during his nap strike I walked into his room and he was sitting on his window sill with the window OPEN and he was leaning on the screen.  I yelled (out of fear) and grabbed him down as fast as I could.  His window opens side-to-side with the lever that you hold down and then pull.  I had NO idea he had learned to open them and he had never climbed up there before.  There is nothing but a 2 story fall out his window so it was absolutely a miracle that he didn't lean too far back on that screen and fall out.  I could have died.  Needless to say I rushed right out to Home Depot and got a thing that goes in his window track and tightens with an allen wrench and now his window doesn't open up enough to get his head thru.  Man I've never been so scared in my life!  I also put the video monitor facing his window for a couple weeks after that to make sure he didn't climb up there anymore...and he didn't.

I'm so glad your kids are okay.

• JennyM87
    October 9, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Super scary. Glad everyone is ok. 

• TwinMomma2010
    October 9, 2012 at 4:52 PM
    We have my twins dressor in their closet because I am afraid of this

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts