Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
fordmama83
Ear Tubes...
October 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Has anyone ever had a problem with their child getting ear tubes?

My daughter was born with fluid on her left ear. We were told by the audiologist that did her hearing test in the hospital to make sure the doctor checked her ears at her first checkup so it didn't turn into an ear infection. My fiance and I asked the doctor multiple times to look at her ears, and she told us we were new parents and didn't know what we were talking about. We were really angry about this, but the doctor came highly recommended, so we figured we'd stick it out. After a few months, our daughter's head was turned to the left, and she wouldn't let us touch her. The doctor told us that it was our fault for letting her get that way, and that we had to put her in physical therapy. We took her to a different doctor, they put her on antibiotics for a monster of a double ear infection, and three days later, she could turn her head again. However, she did develop torticollis from this incident. Over the next year we went to a few different doctors, and made many trips to the ER for multiple ear infections. Every doctor we went to told us to wait until she was 2 to get tubes, because her valve in her ear would correct itself. Her last ear infection before the tubes made her absolutely miserable, and she had a fever of 104 for 6 days. I finally put my foot down and told her doctor that we needed a referral to an ENT. We went to the ENT on a FrIday, and she got tubes in her ears the following Tuesday. We were told to put the special drops in her ears that night and the following morning. Well, a few days later she spiked a fever and her ears had puss and blood draining from them. I took her back to the ENT, and he said that her incisions were infected. He put her on an antibiotic, and back on the drops. I had to take her back a week and a half later, because once again, her ears were draining blood. He said they were infected but he couldn't see the infection, and told me to give her drops for 3 days. I called her regular doctor, and he put her on Zithromax for 7 days. So far it has seemed to work...but has anyone else had problems like this with their child?!

Replies

• jamesmommy32404
    October 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM
    OMG hun...I feel sorry for your LO...My DS had tubes in his ears but did not have any of those problems...I hope she gets better soon...
  • zolanmel
    October 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM
    If they are draining the tubes are working.

My dd has bad ears.

When they drain we start drops. If drops don't work we do oral antibiotic and new tubes..
  • corrinacs
    October 8, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I am so sorry mama :( :(.  BOth of my kids were havens for ear infections but at least we found out why.

But I know what you mean by doctors not listening to you!  Its annoying, especially when they claim that you don't know what you are talking about.....when it was another doctor that suggested this!  Yeah, you are new parents, but that doesn't mean that you are stupid.  Poor gal has had a pretty rough time :( :(.

I hope that the PT really helps with the torticollis.  How bad is it?  Has she developed any plageocephaly (head crookedness)?  My youngest (now almost a year) had this condition.  Luckily, it was very mild, but it was causing him to not want to move correctly due to tightness in his neck and back.  They think it was because of the way he was sitting in my womb.  It took 7-8 months of bi-weekly to monthly visits, and daily stretching, but they were able to get him right on track without a helmet :) :).  I hope that you are just as lucky!

As far as the ear infections, have the doctors thought about allergies?  Both of my kids have severe allergies to foods and environmental things.  My first son was sick as a dog for the first two years of his life.  I went to the doctor litereally every other week complaining of his constant coughing, throwing up, ear infections, fevers, feeding refusal, still eating nothing but purees at 18mos. you name it.  He also had excema covering him from head to toe that would bleed it would get so bad....he even got a staph infection several times despite insane steriod creams.

I finally switched doctors.  My doctor was highly recommneded to me too, but I left.  And I am so glad I did.  I went to a new doctor in the eara I had moved to and spoke to the doctor tehre.  She was appaled that the previous doctor didn't do anything for him.  He was way underweight (didn't gain a single pound between ages one and two).  She suggested testing him for allergies.  Turns out he's allergic to almost every food on the face of the planet (minus wheat, dairy, some meats, fruits and veggies).  Feeding his is difficult, but since we switched up his diet his health, colds, cough, ear infections, throwing up improved greatly :).

As far as the ENT, I am so sorry that the surgery didn't go as well as planned.  Perhaps it was too early for the ear tubes.  I would focus on figuring out what is exactly causing the fluid buildup.  Caden takes Allegra (which may be too much for your LO) but Zyrtek and Claritin may also be good choices to help keep the ears clear.

Good luck and many hugs.  And if you need anything I'm right here as a BTDT mom.  Please keep us (at least me) updated.

• LuvMyBoy08
    October 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM
    My son has tubes and we've never had any problems, in fact he hasn't had one ear infection in over a year (knock on wood)
  • CJsMommy622
    October 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

My 3yr old has had 4 sets of tubes in 2yrs, and adenoids removed (hoping that was the problem). She has chronic ear infections and chronic ottorhea (fluid draining), multiple ruptured ear drums, and food/environmental allergies. Blood with tubes is completely normal, and as long as there is drainage- the tubes are working- although it doesn't seem like it! We switch drops, and avoid antibiotics for as long as possible now, since she is pretty much immune to them all! If you want to try a natural approach, try taking her to a chiropractor, or try removing dairy from her diet. Allergies can cause fluid, and dairy is a very common one! Don't do garlic drops if she has tubes though!

• fordmama83
    October 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Allergy testing was suggested when she was younger because she would quit breathing in the middle of the night. It finally stopped, and the doctor things she was born with mucous in her lungs, because I had bronchitis when she was born, and that the mucous just got infected, and would cause her to quit breathing. As far as the allergy testing goes, they told us it was 400 shots, so we refused it. We do know she's allergic to carrots and Tylenol.

As far as the torticollis goes, luckily I was able to do excersises at home every day, four times a day. It went away. 

She is a little underweight, but she wasn't even 7 pounds when she was born...and she was born 8 days late. 

• Tyler0102
    October 8, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Im 19 I had tubes put in one ear when I was 3. The only problems I ever had was from age 10 to 12 I had ear regular ear infections(like two every month). they finally stopped after the tube fell out.
  • CJsMommy622
    October 9, 2012 at 11:57 AM

My DD was tested by an allergist at 2 1/2. They took something that looked like a square plastic bristled brush, put the allergens on the tips, and pressed it onto her back- I forget the name of that test, but it's similar to the scratch test so I would request that. They did take blood work like they would for anything else, but there were no shots involved. Many allergies cross react with others, so I would definitely suggest getting her tested. I also strongly suggest a chiropractor, the alignment adjustments help many kids drain fluid properly!

Quoting fordmama83:

Allergy testing was suggested when she was younger because she would quit breathing in the middle of the night. It finally stopped, and the doctor things she was born with mucous in her lungs, because I had bronchitis when she was born, and that the mucous just got infected, and would cause her to quit breathing. As far as the allergy testing goes, they told us it was 400 shots, so we refused it. We do know she's allergic to carrots and Tylenol.

As far as the torticollis goes, luckily I was able to do excersises at home every day, four times a day. It went away. 

She is a little underweight, but she wasn't even 7 pounds when she was born...and she was born 8 days late. 

• lauratupper
    October 9, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Oh no! my ds did just fine with his tubes.

• .Angelica.
    October 9, 2012 at 4:17 PM

bump

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN