Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Okaa-san08
HELP!!! Daughter won't stay in bed!
October 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM

It's been almost a month now and I can't keep my daughter in her bed all night. Putting her to bed is never a problem, but she wakes up in and hour or two and starts yelling for me as she heads for our bedroom. If she doesn't yell, she just comes to our room to get me. I take her back to her room and go back to bed and it happens again in another hour or two. There have been 2 or 3 where we haven't had any other option but to let her stay with us because we simply need the sleep. I generally wake up between 5 or 6 in the morning and do a lot of driving for work, so I can't afford to be tired. My DH has some early mornings too and has almost an hour commute. We have tried the reward system but it doesn't work with her. HELP!! We're exhausted and don't know what to do!!

Replies

• jakesmom323
    October 8, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    Buy a king size bed. That's what we did. Lol. Our 2.5 yr old does it every night now. We don't hear him of anything and wake up with him there. Sneaky little stinker. But if we do hear him we do the same, and you can only do what you can. Good luck
  • Okaa-san08
    October 8, 2012 at 6:30 AM

She used to be sneaky like that when she was younger. Now it's every single night while being loud, 3-5 times a night.

• PEEK05
    by PEEK05
    October 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Sorry I'm not sure.  I haven't eer dealt with that.  Here is a bump.

• MrsMetalMama
    October 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    My son won't stay in his either and Idk why.
  • Luvmy2babies22
    October 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM

I would just keep putting her back.  I would guess it's continuing for this long because sometimes you give in and let her stay.  She's betting she can wear you down.  I get that you can't be tired for work but you aren't helping the situation when you allow her to stay.  Maybe take turns with your hubby and say the next 2 nights he has to get up and keep putting her back and then the next 2 nights you'll do it.  As soon as you cave once, you'll be back to square one.  If you stay strong, I would guess she'll get the hint pretty quickly.  Sometimes, as parents, we just have to be inconvenienced if we want something done right.  I wish there was an easier answer but that's it.

• MommaBandy
    October 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM
    My son is the same way.When it comes to staying in his bed or trying to make him sleep in his bed really. He pitches the biggest fit to and will cry to the point of making himself throw up. Then we have to give him another bath, change his bed covers, clean up the mess and so on. It's just became "easier" to put him in our bed and not have to deal with the trouble of trying to make him sleep in his own bed. He's only 22 months old so I'm hoping that he will stop this madness!!
  • misfitdiva
    October 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Sounds like she need some one on one time you you. Do you have a schedule time that is just for the 2 of you?

But I would put up a baby gate.  Thats what I did with mine.  If she cant get out, then she will end up playing and falling back to sleep.  If she screams, dont go up to her (unless its the scared or hurt cry) and just tell her over and over.  Sun is night night.  (DDname) needs to night night.  If she want to stay up, thats up to her. But she isnt getting out. 

This will teach her that the middle of the night is not time for mom and dad time. 

• misfitdiva
    October 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Why do you parent give in so easily?  They pitch a fit because they know you will give them what they want if they do.  

• Okaa-san08
    October 8, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Baby gates don't work because she can open every one we've tried. We've tried taking turns but her noise wakes me up first and then I can't sleep until she's quiet.

But thank you to everyone for your ideas!!

• CLEKate
    by CLEKate
    October 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Buy one of those handles for the door that makes it impossible for her to open it.  Or a lock for the outside of the door.

And a loud fan (or noise machine) for your room so you can't hear her as easily.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN