Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
Okaa-san08
HELP!!! Daughter won't stay in bed!
October 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM

It's been almost a month now and I can't keep my daughter in her bed all night. Putting her to bed is never a problem, but she wakes up in and hour or two and starts yelling for me as she heads for our bedroom. If she doesn't yell, she just comes to our room to get me. I take her back to her room and go back to bed and it happens again in another hour or two. There have been 2 or 3 where we haven't had any other option but to let her stay with us because we simply need the sleep. I generally wake up between 5 or 6 in the morning and do a lot of driving for work, so I can't afford to be tired. My DH has some early mornings too and has almost an hour commute. We have tried the reward system but it doesn't work with her. HELP!! We're exhausted and don't know what to do!!

Replies

• etmermaid
    October 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM

My son wakes up most nights and wants out of his room also. we have a convertable crib and have tried taking the side railing down a few times and put it right back on a few days later.  We've decided at his point that we are going to leave it on till he is 3.  We also changed the door knobs in his room from latch handles to the round ones and put things in the inside door knob so he can't open it. That might keep her in the room. We give him a few things to entertain himself with like books and something that lights up etc.. but not too much. We also leave a small lamp on at his request.  Often threatening to turn off the light will keep him laying down because he has become afraid of the dark.  We also play soothing music that sounds like me singing to him.    well hope this helps a bit.

• JSmith0218
    October 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I am no pro but I have a four year old who well lets just say doesn't need sleep but we do. Ive been to the peds doctor with her and I even brought her to a therapist after a whole year of me and her only getting four hours of sleep at night. This is what steps to take that helped us. First make sure she potties before bed. Next make sure there is as little as possible light in her room. if she needs a tv than after she gets to sleep turn it down. if she need a lamp or night-lite move it as far away as she will let you from her. than if all that does not work you should try whats called melatonin(SP) its a herbal lil pill (over the counter) and it is completely safe for children and toddlers. it is something their body's produce but sometimes like adults we do not produce enough and neither do they. my pediatrion told us about it after the therapist had perscribed something i totally was not comfortable with giving my child. oh and the therapist also told me to give her benadryl which btw is not going to happen nor is it safe like melatonin. Good luck hope it helps.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts