Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
tiredtoddlermom
Does anyone else's toddler hit them
October 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Does anyone have this problem? My toddler is 2 years and 3 months, and yes he sometimes hits me.

Replies

• brethansmom
    October 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Yes! We had a big problem with hitting when my son was between 1 yr to 2.5. He is now 3 years. Occasionally now he will hit if he is frustrated or mostly when he is trying to play fight. Problem is, I dont always know that he is trying to play. All I know sometimes is that I am being hit! 

i will say that the hitting has lessened with consistant correcting. It took many months of reinforceing that hitting is not acceptable. We will put him on time-out. We would tell him why he was being put on time-out. And Im sure youve heard that hitting them back doesnt help- it only reaffirms hitting. I have to regretably admit, that I have resorted to desperation, and have smacked back. This almost always ended in tears, sometimes for both of us.

• sophiesmom07
    October 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

They tried when they were smaller, but I didin't allow it.   I would grab their hand and very firmly say No Hitting!    They don't do it anymore. 

• Snapdragon88
    October 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    No, he's 4 now and has never hit me or been aggressive towards me in any way.
  • tiredtoddlermom
    October 7, 2012 at 8:48 PM

It is an odd habit, sometimes it will come at times when we are having a nice sweet moment, then whack...we tell him no very firmly. He has gotten better.

• imnotbarbie03
    October 7, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Quoting sophiesmom07:

They tried when they were smaller, but I didin't allow it.   I would grab their hand and very firmly say No Hitting!    They don't do it anymore. 

Yup. "Hands are not for hitting!" - and then try to figure out if they were mad about something or just trying to see what would happen if...

• piwife
    by piwife
    October 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    No... cuz they know better
  • msjoecool
    October 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    The two-year-old is acting like a two-year-old and does hit. We say no, but know she'll outgrow it.
  • KoriLovesYou
    October 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Yeah, occasionally. I think it's worse with boys though. My nephew is horrible about it.

• MommyRJ
    by MommyRJ
    October 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM
    Yes. My oldest hasn't ever. But my now 2.5yo dd has been awful. She pinches and hits and scratches. We're having a hell of a time with her right now
  • mypbandj
    Jen
    October 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM
    He will but just in playing. It isn't mean and it's rare.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN