Toddlers & Preschoolers

Featured Posts
tiredtoddlermom
Does anyone else's toddler hit them
October 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Does anyone have this problem? My toddler is 2 years and 3 months, and yes he sometimes hits me.

Replies

• brethansmom
    October 7, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Yes! We had a big problem with hitting when my son was between 1 yr to 2.5. He is now 3 years. Occasionally now he will hit if he is frustrated or mostly when he is trying to play fight. Problem is, I dont always know that he is trying to play. All I know sometimes is that I am being hit! 

i will say that the hitting has lessened with consistant correcting. It took many months of reinforceing that hitting is not acceptable. We will put him on time-out. We would tell him why he was being put on time-out. And Im sure youve heard that hitting them back doesnt help- it only reaffirms hitting. I have to regretably admit, that I have resorted to desperation, and have smacked back. This almost always ended in tears, sometimes for both of us.

• sophiesmom07
    October 7, 2012 at 7:06 PM

They tried when they were smaller, but I didin't allow it.   I would grab their hand and very firmly say No Hitting!    They don't do it anymore. 

• Snapdragon88
    October 7, 2012 at 7:09 PM
    No, he's 4 now and has never hit me or been aggressive towards me in any way.
  • tiredtoddlermom
    October 7, 2012 at 8:48 PM

It is an odd habit, sometimes it will come at times when we are having a nice sweet moment, then whack...we tell him no very firmly. He has gotten better.

• imnotbarbie03
    October 7, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Quoting sophiesmom07:

They tried when they were smaller, but I didin't allow it.   I would grab their hand and very firmly say No Hitting!    They don't do it anymore. 

Yup. "Hands are not for hitting!" - and then try to figure out if they were mad about something or just trying to see what would happen if...

• piwife
    by piwife
    October 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM
    No... cuz they know better
  • msjoecool
    October 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM
    The two-year-old is acting like a two-year-old and does hit. We say no, but know she'll outgrow it.
  • KoriLovesYou
    October 8, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Yeah, occasionally. I think it's worse with boys though. My nephew is horrible about it.

• MommyRJ
    by MommyRJ
    October 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM
    Yes. My oldest hasn't ever. But my now 2.5yo dd has been awful. She pinches and hits and scratches. We're having a hell of a time with her right now
  • mypbandj
    Jen
    October 8, 2012 at 11:52 PM
    He will but just in playing. It isn't mean and it's rare.

Toddlers & Preschoolers

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts